Science Forums

Best Arguments Against Christianity

newrivers

What do people here think are the strongest arguments against Christianity? I'm interested in arguing against it from both philosophical and historical points, but in my opinion one of the most effective arguments is based on the fact that Christianity stole so many things from other religious traditions. Characters and events depicted in the Christian writings were clearly plagiarized, thus disproving the originality of them. This article sums up the argument well:

http://see_the_truth.webs.com/Old%20Testament.html

What other arguments do people think are most effective? Like I said, I'm particularly interested in philosophical and historical ones, but if someone could argue from a different point, that'd be interesting as well.

Edited by CraigD
Fixed broken link

1. Do you believe that Noah was able to fit two of every strain of every land animal on the planet into one boat and provide them all with food and drinking water until the water level went back down? Do you believe that bats are a type of bird? Do you think it's acceptable to kill someone just because they don't believe in what you believe in? Do you think it's okay for people to sell their daughters into sex slavery? If you think the answer to those questions is no then how do you know which parts of the bible are right and which are wrong? If the answer to any of these questions is yes then how are you able to take yourself seriously and look at yourself in the mirror?

2. What makes your particular brand of religion better or more likely to be true than any other?

3. If you were born somewhere else where Christianity wasn't the main religion do you really think you'd still be a Christian?

4. Who created your god. If you think that your god is eternal then why do you think that the universe needs a creator?

5. Why would your god need to judge people? It should already know exactly what everyone's going to do before they're even born! If not then it's not all powerful is it?

6. How do Christians claim that their god is all about love when it sends people to hell for not believing in it but forgives paedophiles, rapists and murderers?

7. How do you explain the fact that the more intelligent a person is (particularly those with good reasoning and critical thinking skills), the less likely they are to believe in a god?

8. Do you think that your god will be more impressed with people who's main motivation is to get into heaven than it is with people who don't need an incentive to do the right thing?

9. If you'd never heard of any religions and were handed evolution along side creationism as potential candidates to describe how the complexity of life arose then which one would think is the most probable for providing an accurate description?

To better understand Christianity, you need to take into account that the historical fact that in the 4th century AD, Christianity became the official religion of Rome. This decision was made by Emperor Constantine of Rome, because the Christian soldiers were Rome's best fighters in battle. There did not fear death. The merger  was a reward and honor for them.

Rome was a world superpower and the merger modified the previous Christianity, so it was better suited to the needs of Rome. For example, Christmas is based on a Pagan holiday connected to the winter solace. Rome merged this holiday with Christianity, so the religion could more easily spread through the empire. The Pope and the Cardinals were modeled on the Emperor and the Roman Senate. 

Around the 14th century, the merger began to loosen, with the Roman and Christian influences starting to separate out. Christian countries like Nazi Germany were modeled on Rome; 90% pure. While there are softer Christians; 90%,, who have become a punching bag for everyone, just like in the old days before the merger. The merger put an end to bullying of Christians. Now it is back, since Rome is not there to fight back and conquer.

What do people here think are the strongest arguments against Christianity? I'm interested in arguing against it from both philosophical and historical points, but in my opinion one of the most effective arguments is based on the fact that Christianity stole so many things from other religious traditions. Characters and events depicted in the Christian writings were clearly plagiarized, thus disproving the originality of them. This article sums up the argument well:

What other arguments do people think are most effective? Like I said, I'm particularly interested in philosophical and historical ones, but if someone could argue from a different point, that'd be interesting as well.

The discontinuities, contradictions, selections of, and numerous authors identified by writing style analysis make the gospels, including gnostic gospels, a cabal of high form. They constitute fiction rather than plagiarism. This is not to discount the influence of the delusional and/or psychotic personalities who believe they receive messages from divine sources, as well as the delusional and/or psychotic personalities that believe the pronouncements of the former group, whether in the old or new testaments.

Perhaps I'm mistaken though, and I should follow the last poster's suggestion to lament the passing of the nazis and hope for their revival. :Crunk: 

To quote George Carlin, "I'd never join a group whose symbol is a guy nailed to a piece of wood."

These all strike me as rather superficial and obvious arguments, against a caricature of Christianity. If you really want good arguments against it, you need first to make an effort to understand what Christian thinkers claim for it. No thinking supporter of Christianity would deny that of course it is built on the religious and philosophical traditions that preceded it - notably Judaism of course, but also Greek philosophy.

It seems to me the real questions are to do with:

- whether the existence of God can be disproved (many philosophers think it cannot),

- whether physicalism is the only legitimate worldview, and if so why,

- whether the core doctrines of Christianity, such as God-made-man (in the person of Christ) and the Resurrection, can be dismissed,

- whether Christianity has value as a guide to how to live one's life.  

I myself have had different views on these questions, at different stages in the course of my life.  

These all strike me as rather superficial and obvious arguments, against a caricature of Christianity. If you really want good arguments against it, you need first to make an effort to understand what Christian thinkers claim for it. ...

I think you will find that there are as many claims as thinkers, making the whole mess more than deserving of defamation. Since Christianity is founded in writing, it is hardly a caricature to submit those writings to the critical scrutiny and thinking I suggested in response to the OP.

Historical reliability of the Gospels

I think you will find that there are as many claims as thinkers, making the whole mess more than deserving of defamation. Since Christianity is founded in writing, it is hardly a caricature to submit those writings to the critical scrutiny and thinking I suggested in response to the OP.

Historical reliability of the Gospels

Up to you: you asked for views and I have offered mine. But I suggest speaking to a few theologians rather than some bloke in the pub, that's all. 

Up to you: you asked for views and I have offered mine. But I suggest speaking to a few theologians rather than some bloke in the pub, that's all.

I didn't ask for views, rather I gave some in response to the query in the OP. Neither did I reference pub blokes in my responses; on the contrary, I referenced theologians and scholars in my response to you.

The question put is "What do people here think are the strongest arguments against Christianity?" Logically, answers should consist of arguments against Christianity and responses otherwise are off-topic.

I didn't ask for views, rather I gave some in response to the query in the OP. Neither did I reference pub blokes in my responses; on the contrary, I referenced theologians and scholars in my response to you.

The question put is "What do people here think are the strongest arguments against Christianity?" Logically, answers should consist of arguments against Christianity and responses otherwise are off-topic.

You didn't ask for views? 

My mistake then. 

Discussion of the topic "arguments against Christianity" is certainly on-topic.  Posters get to define what the topic of a thread is; they do not get to define what answers are acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...

1. If Jesus was a carpenter and held church outside, then why do you have to go to church for mass and leave all your possessions to the richest organization in the world?

2. Pisces is a fish sign. Jesus was born in April/May. The church had an easier time converting pagans if the moved Jesus birthday to December. Now all the pagans had to do was change who they worshipped but, not their traditions.

3. The bible contradicts itself in both the old and new testament.

4. Approx 85% is borrowed from religions that are no longer practiced.

1. If Jesus was a carpenter and held church outside, then why do you have to go to church for mass and leave all your possessions to the richest organization in the world?

2. Pisces is a fish sign. Jesus was born in April/May. The church had an easier time converting pagans if the moved Jesus birthday to December. Now all the pagans had to do was change who they worshipped but, not their traditions.

3. The bible contradicts itself in both the old and new testament.

4. Approx 85% is borrowed from religions that are no longer practiced.

your 1) He didn't "hold church", whatever that means, at all. Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian, as any priest will tell you.

your 2) There is no evidence, so far as I know, that Jesus was born in April or May. If you have some, please cite it. 

your 3) True, but as it is literary work by several authors, that is hardly surprising. 

your 4) The figure of 85% is not one I have seen before and it looks suspiciously precise to me. Can you cite evidence for this figure?

• 3 weeks later...

Why single our Christianity and not ask what are the arguments against religion ?

All you need to do is look at the impact of Christianity on the history of the world. Various Christian cultures have been among the world's alpha dogs for centuries, beginning with Rome and then via the remnants of the Roman Empire; Great Britain, France, Spain, Russia, Germany, Italy and others and now the USA. The Magna Carter appeared in England and the Constitution in the USA and then France. Look at the contributions of these counties in art and science, education, innovation, medicine, technology and standard of living. Christian ethics mellows the people so they can work as a team. 

Christianity has changed the world by leading from the front. This all has to do with the merger between Rome and Christianity in the 4th century AD. Rome had the secular strength and a traditions of leadership. Christianity helped to mellow the bold and wild spirit, so this was more inclusive. If Rome had merged with atheism the result would have been similar in terms of material things, but much less inclusive; two class system.