Science Forums

Office & Pdf Processing (For Manuscript)

inverse

Hi ,

I am preparing a project and will submit to a journal which has enough protocol to publish such articles.

but I have some matters ,I request someones who have experience to help me.

I am using LibreOffice to prepare only (this is free programme ,and no any else option)

matter:

*while I am setting the size of text a matter is happening on page. (the page is being small or wide empty area is occuring at the down of page and it cannot be tidied)

question :

* what does  mendeley programme do? (might I set my all of processing on my paper before submission with only libreoffice ,especially I don't have information whether we may set our references with mendeley (but it has not been implied looking for references,setting APA mode is questioned)) 

Go to LaTex and all your problems are solved.

are you sure that I would be able to learn in a short time?

(as long as I know ,this programme uses "codes")

you have asked a question what that journal was.

sorry ,I do not want to explain before submission so as not to cause speculations.

but many thanks again for your positive comments. 

I am preparing a project and will submit to a journal which has enough protocol to publish such articles.

I’m not sure what you mean, Inverse.

Does the journal to which you plan to submit require that you send them a PDF file?

LibreOffice (which I just started playing with after reading your post) seems to do a good job of creating PDF files, so if this is the file format you must use, you should have insurmountable no problems using this free word processor.

*while I am setting the size of text a matter is happening on page. (the page is being small or wide empty area is occuring at the down of page and it cannot be tidied)

LibreOffice seems to do a pretty good job of working like Microsoft Word. I don’t see anything tricky about changing text font size – just select all or a range of text, rightclick on it, chose character, then specify the font, size, and other attributes you want. The program handles pagewrapping automatically, or you can insert hard page breaks (ctrl+enter or select from the Insert>Manual Break menu).

If you attach your troubled .odt document, or an image of it, to a post, I could better understand the prolem you’re having.

question :

* what does mendeley programme do?

Mendeley (as the linked-to Wikipedia article explains) is a program for managing many research papers. If you’re writing just one, and it won’t be extraordinarily long of have a huge number of citations, I doubt you’d gain much from using Mendeley.

Go to LaTex and all your problems are solved.

are you sure that I would be able to learn in a short time?

I think you could learn LaTeX’s math package about as quickly as you could learn to use LibreOffice’s “Math” (which creates .odf files).

An advantage of using LibreOffice is that you already have it, so just need to click File>New>Formula to get started. An advantage of using LeTeX is that it’s old and well-documented. A disadvantage is that it’s not built in to any word processor I know, so you’ll need to find a tool to render it. One such tool is to click Reply to this Topic on this page, make sure WYSIWYG is off (by clicking the “switch” button in the upper left), embedding your text in a math tag, and clicking preview.

Another tool I like is John Forkosh’s LaTeX practice page

No matter which you use, if you’re using LibreOffice, you’ll need to capture the images rendered by your math editor, then insert it into the .odt document, then export it as a PDF. If your computer is using any present-day version of Microsoft Windows, you can do this just by capturing it with alt+prt sc, pasting in Paint, selecting and copying the part you want, then pasting into LibreOffice.

hi 

many thanks for your care. really I do not remember how was it. but I solved the matter with setting page.

and while I think I used formulas well (integral forms , sigma + addition and exponential formulas),I do not know using that remarked programme in libreeoffice (formula programme implied). but it seems that was not compulsory. I did write my formulas and wrote well ,orderly.and yes ,this programme provide option to convert our written files to .pdf.

a new question and additional query to this question.

the journal which I would submit is generally use picture ,commonly and normall requires graphs and tables.

actually ,I appreciate these qualifications. but I am unable to reach my necessities because of economical matters.

but clearly I do not criticize the journal. they are right.

I would ask a question about picture.

could someones make me learn how to set the .dpi setting (resolution) with free programme (which does not require payment).

for instance,does mendeley do this? or any other programme which is free?

I have called this journal's editorial office (new york)

and they said that I should take permission if I would use any picture / graph which is not created by my own. (belongs other scientists)

could you express a detail . assume please  I am using a water wave picture. this is dowloaded on goodle search. but I make some differences such as its size , writing some texts on it ,or its colours ,then what will happen 

does this mean that I owned this picture's copyrights?

or may I use it with asking no permission from the owner of this picture's previous shape?

Edited by inverse

• 4 weeks later...

hi 

I have called this journal's editorial office (new york)and they said that I should take permission if I would use any picture / graph which is not created by my own. (belongs other scientists)

could you express a detail . assume please  I am using a water wave picture. this is dowloaded on goodle search. but I make some differences such as its size , writing some texts on it ,or its colours ,then what will happen 

does this mean that I owned this picture's copyrights?

or may I use it with asking no permission from the owner of this picture's previous shape?

You must find the original source of the picture and read the copyright notice. If there is no copyright notice, you cannot use it. If you do find a copyright notice, it will say under what conditions you can or cannot use the image and you then must abide by the restrictions or be subject to legal action by the copyright holder.

Copyright

Edited by Turtle