Science Forums

War

Deepwater6

You seem to think social sophistication or technological level is the measure of a culture and the primary factors that shape their worldview.

What did I say to gave you that impression?

This is what you said that gave me the impression you think most people, including all Muslim, Asian and non democratic nations don't see life as sacred:

I think you're assuming that saying people don't see life as sacred, means they don't value life. There is a difference. For most of the world, an individual life is important but not sacred.

Count the populations of western country's compared to the rest of the world. Count the number of country's that are actual democracies against the total number of countries. Muslim and Asian populations alone make up more than 80% of the world's population. I'd say that was most of the world.

What did I say to gave you that impression?

This is what you said that gave me the impression you think most people, including all Muslim, Asian and non democratic nations don't see life as sacred:

They don't, in the way the west sees life as sacred. Muslims surrender and submit themselves to Islam, an individual life is not important. For most Muslims death in the service of Islam is the ultimate achievement since it guarantees their place in the afterlife.

For Asians it varies depending on region, but in general what is sacred is some aspect of the family not the individual; family honor, carrying on the male line, or ancestral identity.

Cultural viewpoints aren't generated out of the blue, but are developed over time out of necessity. They are no less valid or less rational then any other when considered in the context in which they were developed.Nor is recognizing and understanding the deffernces in cultures a suggestion they are some how less human or less suffisticated.

I assumed this was a site where science minded individuals could discuss topics rationally and logically without letting emotional or social poltical hangups gettting in the way. My mistake. 

Edited by superpsycho

I assumed this was a site where science minded individuals could discuss topics rationally and logically without letting emotional or social poltical hangups gettting in the way. My mistake. 

Your contradiction actually. That's what you're doing and that's the problem!

They don't, in the way the west sees life as sacred. Muslims surrender and submit themselves to Islam, an individual life is not important. For most Muslims death in the service of Islam is the ultimate achievement since it guarantees their place in the afterlife.

For Asians it varies depending on region, but in general what is sacred is some aspect of the family not the individual; family honor, carrying on the male line, or ancestral identity.

Taking the most extreme views and applying it to the majority. Ignorant BS.

Your contradiction actually. That's what you're doing and that's the problem!

Taking the most extreme views and applying it to the majority. Ignorant BS.

And you're assuming a death in the service of Islam or Allah automatically means terrorism. There are many ways to die in the pursuit of a greater cause whether it's Islam, Christianity or any other religion. It's your mind that can't get beyond a narrow meaning and preconceived ideas.

The point is their world is their Religion, just as other cultures world's are based on family.

Edited by superpsycho

And you're assuming a death in the service of Islam or Allah automatically means terrorism. There are many ways to die in the pursuit of a greater cause whether it's Islam, Christianity or any other religion. It's your mind that can't get beyond a narrow meaning and preconceived ideas.

Terrorism? Now what did I say to give you the impression that I was talking about terrorism? What preconceived ideas? That Asian and Muslim people aren't all the same as each other and are just as likely as westerners to view life as sacred?

The point is their world is their Religion, just as other cultures world's are based on family.

The point is that their world is just as likely to be their family and a Christian's is just as likely to be their religion.

Edited by A-wal

I'm sorry Deepwater6.  I intended to have a discussion with you but the ambient noise is too much for me to deal with.  I do recommend you read the book I linked, or if not, try to evaluate violent crime statistics over the last century.

Thanks JMJ, I will check out your link. Your first post had some very good points. I agree, the fact we can recognize injustice and freely discuss it in more parts of the world (due to internet) is a good thing. It is also quite humorous that we use a form of political correctness in our modern targeted bombing runs. I don't have the facts nor do I think they can ever be attained with any certainty, but these targeted (smart bombs) should reduce civilian causalities from 50yrs ago. At least you would think so in theory. 

Terrorism? Now what did I say to give you the impression that I was talking about terrorism? What preconceived ideas? That Asian and Muslim people aren't all the same as each other and are just as likely as westerners to view life as sacred?

The point is that their world is just as likely to be their family and a Christian's is just as likely to be their religion.

When discussing Muslim beliefs you bring up extremists in today's context, what else would you be referring to?

Effectively what we've been arguing is your view of the sanctity of life is the only proper one and anyone that suggests other cultures don't have the same viewpoint must be disparaging those cultures since of course, anyone with any other viewpoint but yours, is not civilized in your mind.

When discussing Muslim beliefs you bring up extremists in today's context, what else would you be referring to?

This because it's what you said and what I quoted so I thought it was obvious.

Effectively what we've been arguing is your view of the sanctity of life is the only proper one and anyone that suggests other cultures don't have the same viewpoint must be disparaging those cultures since of course, anyone with any other viewpoint but yours, is not civilized in your mind.

No I've been arguing that Muslims and Asians in general don't see life as "less sacred". Some do but that's arguably a more appropriate accusation to the west.

This because it's what you said and what I quoted so I thought it was obvious.

No I've been arguing that Muslims and Asians in general don't see life as "less sacred". Some do but that's arguably a more appropriate accusation to the west.

And on what do you base your conclusions, your feelings or actually spending time in the countries and with defferent cultures?

On the interactions I've had with people from various regions, from the fact that the people I've come across that have the least regard for human life aren't from Asian or Muslim backgrounds, on the fact that the actions of western governments shows reflects far less regard for human like than the actions of a tiny minority could possibly reflect and on the fact that people who have the view that the western culture is morally superior to others are always ignorant and clueless arseholes.

• 3 weeks later...

there exist some very clear points according to my approach

* I will never be willing at somewhere the war is happening :( this is definitely  the worst thing that I have ever heard.

* in my opinion war harms science.

* I believe that we should never kill anyone , this is something which is not logical. and I don't think that anyone will deserve to kill another one if we care human rights.

Dear my god. I wisy you to   protect me imy family and my frineds from war everytime.  :angel2: