Science Forums

Do We See A Train Arrive That Arrived 8 Minutes Earlier?

xyz

All you've done is misunderstand how light works. Light moves at a finite speed, we know it does because it can be measured. When you look at the sun you're seeing it as it was eight minutes ago because the light left the sun eight minutes before it reached you. If you're looking at an object 100 light years away then you're seeing it as it was 100 years ago because the light took 100 years to reach you.

Light takes time to move so the further away the object your looking at, the longer the light took to travel from the object to you. I don't know why you're having so much trouble understanding this.

I didn't contradict myself. During an eclipse you see the moon and the sun at the same time, as in you see the light from the moon at the same time as you see the light from the sun but the light from the sun took eight minutes to reach you and the light from the moon took less than two seconds to reach you.

A frame in the context of this topic is an inertial state. Anything in motion relative to an object is in a different inertial frame as that object. Different inertial frames all experience the same speed of light so they all disagree on measurements of length of time and of space in the direction of motion (time dilation and length contraction).

All you've done is misunderstand how light works. Light moves at a finite speed, we know it does because it can be measured. When you look at the sun you're seeing it as it was eight minutes ago because the light left the sun eight minutes before it reached you. If you're looking at an object 100 light years away then you're seeing it as it was 100 years ago because the light took 100 years to reach you.

Light takes time to move so the further away the object your looking at, the longer the light took to travel from the object to you. I don't know why you're having so much trouble understanding this.

I didn't contradict myself. During an eclipse you see the moon and the sun at the same time, as in you see the light from the moon at the same time as you see the light from the sun but the light from the sun took eight minutes to reach you and the light from the moon took less than two seconds to reach you.

A frame in the context of this topic is an inertial state. Anything in motion relative to an object is in a different inertial frame as that object. Different inertial frames all experience the same speed of light so they all disagree on measurements of length of time and of space in the direction of motion (time dilation and length contraction).

No, you  misunderstand how light works, you will see my friend in the near future,....

• 4 weeks later...

Why do scientists have to wait say 20 min to get a response from a space probe after sending a message?

Because the signal travels through the constant, I have not said that light does not travel.   Let me explain something to you, natural  light passing through free space is at full stretch and the dimensions of the light , frequency and wave-length of the light is absolute zero relative to sight.   Although it may be a mixture of frequencies, as far as sight see's it, we observe relatively it to be invisible because it is without dimension and we evolved to not ''see'' it, to see it as invisible. 

We only see things that are not 0, but don't get me wrong , we can see the volume of zero that extends from any observer outwards unbounded, distance can only be perceived when there is something their to reflect light. 

It is not difficult to understand, I may be difficult to understand but I am certain that I know what I am talking about. 

The main reason and factual reason I do not think we see things in the past , is free space is see through and not opaque. ''WE'' can see very clearly the start and end point of any light journey at the same time. 

In short , look at ''your'' example. 

A photon travels from A to B and takes 1 second. 

Consider you are seeing A and B to imagine that. A and B are your points of the ''frame'' , You ''see'' A and B at the same time. 

Because the signal travels through the constant, I have not said that light does not travel.   Let me explain something to you, natural  light passing through free space is at full stretch and the dimensions of the light , frequency and wave-length of the light is absolute zero relative to sight.   Although it may be a mixture of frequencies, as far as sight see's it, we observe relatively it to be invisible because it is without dimension and we evolved to not ''see'' it, to see it as invisible. 

We only see things that are not 0, but don't get me wrong , we can see the volume of zero that extends from any observer outwards unbounded, distance can only be perceived when there is something their to reflect light. 

It is not difficult to understand, I may be difficult to understand but I am certain that I know what I am talking about. 

The main reason and factual reason I do not think we see things in the past , is free space is see through and not opaque. ''WE'' can see very clearly the start and end point of any light journey at the same time. 

In short , look at ''your'' example. 

A photon travels from A to B and takes 1 second. 

Consider you are seeing A and B to imagine that. A and B are your points of the ''frame'' , You ''see'' A and B at the same tim

Space may be transparent, but objects are separated by distance. Objects require time to travel between other objects and light is not an exception. You still didn't answer the question, which is, the message transit time is 10 min out and 10 min return. It's not like sci-fi movies where they communicate instantly. Your rambling about light makes no sense. Light can be stretched or bunched together, which is the basis of doppler shift.

In your example, you only see A and B simultaneously if they are at equal distances from you.