Science Forums

Who's Afraid Of Gmo?

Today I heard something that I thought was completely ridiculous.  Someone I know hunts deer every year, and last year he offered some venison to a neighbor.  The neighbor said that she only eats organic, and she doesn't know what that deer was eating.  For all she knew, she said, "That deer might have eaten genetically modified corn from some farmer's field!"

Some ideas just invite ridicule.

And yet, as ridiculous as they are, some ideas continue to be persistent.  In the framework that she holds to be an accurate understanding of the cosmos, her justification for refusal of free venison was entirely rational.  The problem is that her framework is built on a lie.  You might be able to persuade this person with a reasoned argument, but personally held beliefs are hard to abandon regardless of the facts.

Today I heard something that I thought was completely ridiculous.  Someone I know hunts deer every year, and last year he offered some venison to a neighbor.  The neighbor said that she only eats organic, and she doesn't know what that deer was eating.  For all she knew, she said, "That deer might have eaten genetically modified corn from some farmer's field!"

Want to really blow her mind?  Point out she might be breathing GMO oxygen.