Science Forums

Faster than light travel?

Primal Fears

Hello.

I have spend a little time looking in to faster than light travel and as far as i can see its only posable if u want to go BACKWARDS in time "because" there is only one known/hypothesized thing that can move faster than light and they are tachyons and unfortunately they only go backwards in time. This is only hypothesized to do this because science put a partical on one side of the room/container and BANG its on the other side, science hypothesize that a tachyon must have hit it on its saw back threw time.

Hey if you dont like what i am saying well i dont care LOL but hey post what ever you dont like or do hehe HAVE FUN.

I have been researching the time dilation factor in reaching the speed of light, ive found out that from around 99-99.9999999c that the time dilation drastically increases. what i want to know is that when you reach the speed of light does time seems to stand still? and if its ever possible to exceed the speed of light wouldnt time seem to go in reverse seeing as you are travelling faster then it?

in my oppinion you cant go faster then light unless you find a way to reduce your mass to

zero ,then and only then can you go at what ever speed you like ,and for time travel i dont think

you can go back in time you can only go in the future and thats only indirectly you choose a star at let's say 25 light years you go at light speed and back then you come back on earth 50 years later for the earthlings anyway ,you did not go in the future just increaced its speed ,

and if the time really stand still at light speed dont ask me how you stop your engines and crash

in that star i dont know lol you would have to go a little slower then light speed to get your computer to stop the engines

in my oppinion you cant go faster then light unless you find a way to reduce your mass to

zero ,then and only then can you go at what ever speed you like ,and for time travel i dont think

you can go back in time you can only go in the future and thats only indirectly you choose a star at let's say 25 light years you go at light speed and back then you come back on earth 50 years later for the earthlings anyway ,you did not go in the future just increaced its speed ,

and if the time really stand still at light speed dont ask me how you stop your engines and crash

in that star i dont know lol you would have to go a little slower then light speed to get your computer to stop the engines

Faster than light travel could be possible.

The mechanism than governs the speed of light also governs the properties of all the sub-atomic particles comprising the mass that you are trying to move.

Assuming that the identity of this mechanism is the same, then the key to faster than light travel would be to avoid changes in it.

It seems to be almost accepted that space is not an empty void, but comprises of zero point energy/quantum foam/virtual photons/Aether - take your pick. Whatever it is that is out there, has a direct relationship to any increase in mass when traveling at a velocity, because it is the only substance that you would interact with out there.

Relative to a solar-stationary position, we have increased mass due to the velocity of the Earth, albeit rather small.

Avoiding all Aether entirely would not be a good idea because our own sub-atomic particles still require the governing mechanism that controls their properties in respect of the speed of light.

So how would you do it?

You would have to create a bubble in the Aether where you would maintain an environment similar to that on or near Earth. The exterior of the bubble would deflect excess Aether away.

Whatever method of propullsion you use would also have to emmitted through the bubble, it would come in handy if not to get going in the first place, but also to change direction and stop.

So you could be able to travel at any velocity, without the inconvenience of infinite mass. Another advantage would be no time dilation, so you would remain in the same relative time frame all throughout your journey, so it would be conceivable to phone home and not have the message answered by one of your disant descendants - this is so long as you could send any communication using a similar Aether bubble, otherwise you may well get back before your message arrived.

A powerful propullsion system may be not be necessary using an Aether bubble.

If the Aether is the mechanism for controlling the speed of light, then removing it would remove the limitation.

At the leading edge of the bubble, light would be able to travel virtually instantaneously.

It's not that you've increased the speed, rather you have reduced the distance.

Time = Distance / Speed.

Your craft would appear to travel at a proportionally increased speed.

As for the forces subjected on you from the acceleration, your speed hasn't actually changed, so there would be none.

Maybe someone can answer my question regarding electromagnetic acceleration in a non-gravitational vacuum. If two positively charged pieces of iron are placed next to each other, they will repel. Now, if this effect could somehow be configured for forward momentum, i.e., in the design of a cone where the fields are constantly bouncing off each other in "bursts", would the speed of the entity in a non-gravitational vacuum continue to accelerate, and if so, eventually reach the speed of light?

The force produced by the magnetic field would be at right angles.

With your cone, the magnetic fields would be compressed proportional to the distance between the sides of the cone, essentially giving the extent of the fields, where they meet, as a line through the centre of the cone.

The force would be at right angles to this line and because it would be in both directions, effectively cancel each other out.