Science Forums

Red Dialating Light In The Sky

At about 0245 am I was sitting outside on my porch looking at the stars and smoking a cigarette. I noticed a red light in the sky, and thought that maybe it was venus or mars, it was twinkling alot as well. As I was looking at it, it appeared to become brighter, at first, I thought it was a trick of the eye. But the light became freakishly bright, brighter than any star I have ever seen (or any object in the night sky for that matter). So i thought maybe it was a plane or something like that. but there was no horizontal motion whatsoever. it began to fade a little, and so i though maybe it was something moving away from me. then it became brighter and brighter again. which really started to alarm me, to make sure it was not a trick of my eyes i kept another normal star in my field of vision that did not become brighter, fade, or dilate in anyway. then finally the light began to fade, and almost disappear all together. Nothing I have experienced can explain this. my location is approximately 35.420105, -83.469570. does anyone have an inkling as to what this is? This all happened in approximately 2 minutes.

Sounds to me like a plane with landing lights on, coming directly towards you before veering to a new course. You can see these for 40 miles or more. If there was some light cloud or dust in between it would redden the light by scattering the blue.