Science Forums

My Idea of Time

Astronomer107

This is my idea. It's not yet a theory or even a hypothesis; just an idea:

What is time? Time is the fourth dimension. I've wondered if the fourth dimension could actually be visualized. I noticed on one of these threads, someonequestionedwhy we haven't seen people from thefuture in our time. My argument to that would be that the future hasn't occured yet, but maybe it has. I think that the 4th dimenstion(time) is divided intobillions of sectors, some of them further along in time and some behind us in time. Each one of these sectors evolves over time to be like the one ahead of it. Maybe time travel isn't possible. Or, maybe we will discover it so far in the future that we will only go just so far back into the past.

Let me know what you think.

Astronomer 107,

Hello!....In response to your question on PF Math board (Sphere). Answer by mathman is incorrect. Volume of sphere is given as pi/6 (diameter^3).

Volume 27=27/0.523=51.56; cube root =3.72 radius;

Volume 8=8/0.523=15.28; cube root=2.48 radius.

Not quite 3:2 ratio. I'm no math person, but a scientist nonetheless and hold to mathematics as the science of describing exacting relationships. Mathman, et al, should hold to it as well and made accountable for better than smug, erronious and sarcastic answers to forum inquiries....Donde.

PS: I'm redfaced!! Mathman IS correct. Also, the figures for radius should instead read diameter. Sorry about that....

As the wise Captain Jean- Luc Picard once said *grin*:

"I prefer to think of the future as something that is not cast in stone."

I think that billions of possibilites exist, are created, destroyed and re-created by our every action, like cosmic ripples, and that we gradually chose our path in life by the decisions we make. I really like your 4th dimension idea though, it's nifty

My email

Although I hated the book when I read it, you might want to read Marcus Chown's latest book, "The Universe Next Door". It is a collection of essays on stuff like parallell universes, multiple realities, and time loops etc. You might find it interesting.

Here's a link to the book at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195143825/ http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195143825/qid=1021272794/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-6088547-3396732

Tormod

I think time is just a matter of energy state changes and the only time state that is in existance is the (time) state that we are in at the moment. What I mean is the past doen't exist any more and the futher has yet to exist. This way of thinking doesn't make time travel impossible just very energy intensive. Most of the prominant physics theorists don't by this anymore even though any other way seems to violate some very basic physics.

• 2 months later...

I absolutelly agree, but there is one condition. To go back in the past,it has to exist (which is posible) .......BUT(my favourite but :-) )

if the past exists, we are supposibly it's future, right? If we consider us as future of the past time there..... there should future of present time, and we should be the past of the future. So that means that every time is present dependeble on the past and future the past of the past, the future after the future etc and of course itself. It is imposible to catch on. Is it?

To "beat"time you got to go around it right to the bottom and start it all over right to the end, but coming back in present, from where we started of....is only a Hollywood "fantasy" used to brain wash some of the well.........average americans.

Time travel is just not posible. Again why don't we have visitors from the future? Because we don't exist in future time!We are the past the present and future for our own time. Transfering into another past present future is dreadfully dangerous and again -imposible.

Do I dare disturb the universe?

( phrase by T. Eliot)

Regards to all here :-)

Eva H.I.

Overview this for instant:

V1t1=V2t2=const

Means the higher the speed the shorter the time,but speed is propotional with the intensity of changes=>time resists the changes.

Overview this for instant:

f1t1=f2t2=const

Means the higher the frequency the shorter the time,but frequency is propotional with the intensity of changes=>time resists the changes.

This yeils my definition of time RESISTANCE TO CHANGES

Time Stuff

The Past

Is an anchor

Raking through the sludge of time

Compounding the

Inertia

Of weighted days.

The Present

Is a constantly replaced

Nanosecond,

Fleeting

And of no consequence.

The Future,

With the peril of happiness,

Taunts fear and is shredded

On the knife edge of "now"

Exposing the fluff that it is.

I float, clutching memories,

Pretending

My life has happened.

That does not make any difference!If we represent time on a scale we are always past present and future! And that's why there's nothing to be changed and there's nothing to exist beyond that scale!Which means you can't travel back and you can't travel faster forward.Which means time travel is not posible!

Thank you

Best Regards

Regards to all

Eva H.I.

-------------------

Do I dare disturb the universe?

• 1 year later...

I believe time does not exist at all and i belive that "nothing" does not exist, because everything has something. But at the same time I also believe that there is no such thing as reality for human beings because everyone slowly decays and unless there is such a thing as a soul it is like we never existed so in the end (if you believe that everything has a begining and end) there is no such thing as reality for us.