Science Forums

How We Would Play With The Signals And Pulses Of The Brain Without Being Intrusive?

CraigD

Moderation note: this topic was moved from a private message/conversation

Do you have any idea on how we would play with the signals and pulses of the brain without being intrusive? Cause we cant write onto the brain directly as I am sure that cause damage to it. Are there any other ideas?

Also do you think that the group 17robots are in can make this come true? I dont know if we can but I definitely want to try.

Wish Us luck ! :D

The best way to answer your question, I think, is to read the threads in the FullDive technology subforum. There’re a lot of posts there, many low quality, but I and many others have put pretty completely put our thoughts into it.

Do you have any idea on how we would play with the signals and pulses of the brain without being intrusive?

The problem of reading brain activity without implanting sensory of any kind into it is primarily on of cleaning up a very noisy signal, which is a computational one. There’s some literature on this (read the threads to find links). The critical problem with this approach is it is often gives ambiguous results – based on a complex model of the brain, a given signal can be as likely to result from one state as one very different one. IMO, this limits the usefulness of such techniques – they’ll likely be very valuable for neuroscience and medicine, but not able to produce a technology like that imagined in SAO.

I think that kind of technology will require intrusive implants. My hope is that such implants can be made so tiny and automatic that they are practically undetectable, and don’t require MDs or technicians to use.

Cause we cant write onto the brain directly as I am sure that cause damage to it. Are there any other ideas?

Present day medical technology routinely “writes to the brain” without significantly damaging it, to treat various conditions, such as epilepsy and major depression.

That said, the best, and for all purposes perfect way to write to the brain is through the ordinary sense. I’m hopefully that a fusion of present day VR technology such as 3-D motion sensing video headsets, motion rides, and haptic sensors and feedback devices, may be able to provide as near a FullDive experience as anyone would want. More, I suspect people wouldn’t want anything “more perfect”. A practical definition of “FullDive VR” is virtual reality that can’t be distinguished from actual reality. A good question to ask is if many people would really want or like this if it were available, or would prefer a VR experience almost, but not quite, indistinguishable from reality.

So that our ideas can be shared with the whole internet, I think it’s better to have conversations like this in the forums. If you have no objection, I’ll move these PMs to them.

No objections what so ever! Thanks for your input and insight.