Science Forums

Astrology - Fact Or Fiction

petrushkagoogol

I suggest reading or listening to Richard Tarnas ;

http://theastrologypodcast.com/2016/07/25/richard-tarnas-on-cosmos-and-psyche/

No I'm not doing that, because he sounds like a crank to me and I don't have the time to waste reading crank literature.

But if you can summarise the claims made and the evidence for them, we can certainly discuss. 

P.S. I looked this guy up on Wiki. I see he ran a seminar, titled: "The Comic Genius: a Multidisciplinary Approach", with John Cleese. So clearly he has at least a sense of humour.

Edited by exchemist

• 2 weeks later...

So lets have some evidence that it actually makes sense. There's a million bucks waiting for you.

Read Richard Tarnas book ;

Prometheus the Awakener

Very short read , less than 100pgs.

There you will find the uncanny relationship between individual character and astrological signs.

Read Richards book I mentioned above in my post # 40 .

It might change your mind .

It might, but I've read many books on astrology and all they do is reinforce my view that it is all total bollocks. There is not much point in finding some correlation between Uranus and world events if the mechanism by which this happens is not defined. When mainstream scientists begin to accept that astrology might have some meaning, I'll read that book.

It might, but I've read many books on astrology and all they do is reinforce my view that it is all total bollocks. There is not much point in finding some correlation between Uranus and world events if the mechanism by which this happens is not defined. When mainstream scientists begin to accept that astrology might have some meaning, I'll read that book.

So your investigation is based on , science by others . I see .

So your investigation is based on , science by others . I see .

Not necessarily - but I've spent decades arguing with astrology types who ultimately have no concept of scientific rationalism. They think astrology has some meaning because they want it to have meaning, not because there is actually any scientific justification. I have spent too much of my life arguing with morons, read too many crap books written by astrologers. Not one single aspect of astrology has stood up to rigorous examination. And you expect me to read yet another book about it. 

Just give me one example of a meaningful prediction in astrology, and I'll take an interest.

Hmm, in Travis Tarnas book Prometheus the Awakener On pg.53 , Natal Uranus Aspects Cited in Text .

There are over 50 people , examples

Napolean Bonaparte

Friedrich Nietzsche

Leonardo da Vinci

Leo Tolstoy

J.W. von Goethe

David Hume

Benjamin Franklin

Abraham Lincoln

Charles Dickens

Oscar Wilde

Niels Bohr

Alfred Hitchcock

Galileo Galilei

Richard Feynman

Stephen Hawking

To name a few

The correlation between ones astrological sign and ones character seems to fit .

Years ago, my mother had a friend that started a business  in astrological, and being of a supportive nature, my mother paid her to do a character profile for each of her children.  Mine fit me to a tee, except for one key detail; she had the wrong birthday.  My conclusion was that she had based her profile on me based on conversations she had had with my mother over the years.

Consider that most astrological profiles highlight positive characteristics most of us share to some degree.

Consider also that we share much of ourselves in the course of human interactions that we are not aware of, and all one needs to do to profile someone is pay attention to detail.

Edited by Farming guy

Consider that most astrological profiles highlight positive characteristics most of us share to some degree.

Some time ago I read a paper published by the British Astrological Society which claimed to prove definitively that there was a significant correlation between astrological signs and personality traits. This was shown to me by a friend who actually had a PhD, and I still can't work out how he managed that. Anyway, the paper was based on questionnaires returned by several thousand people about their chief personality traits and their date of birth. The conclusion was that there was a 60% chance that a particular characteristic turned up for a particular astrological sign. The paper concluded this was some kind of proof that astrology had some kind of significance.

I was appalled at the stupidity of my friend who challenged me to refute these findings. Why? The questionnaires had been sent not to a random selection of the population, but to all the members of the British Astrological Society. Considering that people with characteristics predicted by astrology are far more likely to think it makes sense, thus become members, and considering how easy it is to convince somebody that they have character traits expected of them, I find 60%  a spectacular demonstration that it is just complete and total bollocks. Yet these people continue to peddle their woo and waste my time.