Science Forums

Astrology - Fact Or Fiction

petrushkagoogol

Is astrology bunk? It places entire humanity into four discrete categories - air, water, earth and fire. Air is gaseous flow, water is liquid flow, fire is plasma flow and Earth is no flow. For example, water signs are Taurus (lymph), Scorpio (sex) and Pisces (feet - needed for hunting). All are indicative of virility. Earth signs are symbols of purity.

Is all this wishful thinking?

Edited by petrushkagoogol

Is astrology bunk?

Yes, astrology – defined in wikipedial as “the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial objects as a means for divining information about human affairs and terrestrial events” has been conclusively shown to be bunk.

One might think that, because in many cultures, people are told their astrological (Sun) sign at an early age, this might influence people to conform to their descriptions – for example, a person born on 1 May, under the sun sign of Taurus would intentionally develop themselves into a strong-willed, persevering person, – but to the best of my knowledge, this social science hypothesis has not been confirmed.

Yes, astrology – defined in wikipedial as “the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial objects as a means for divining information about human affairs and terrestrial events” has been conclusively shown to be bunk.

One might think that, because in many cultures, people are told their astrological (Sun) sign at an early age, this might influence people to conform to their descriptions – for example, a person born on 1 May, under the sun sign of Taurus would intentionally develop themselves into a strong-willed, persevering person, – but to the best of my knowledge, this social science hypothesis has not been confirmed.

To illustrate, Taurus is ruled by Venus - related to marriage. In Virgo Venus is in declination, which means Virgos should never get married. This doesn't augur well for me because I am Virgo. Please help.... :-)

Petrush..., exactly like I say you can find connection wherever you want. Why is Taurus ruled by Venus? Why not the other way? Why one ruling the other in the first place? And why is Venus related to marriage? I always heard that Venus was related to women. If in Virgo Venus is in declination (whatever that means) why does it imply that you should never get married? Why not that you have only 1 woman? Etc.? 
So don't worry you need no help :-)

Petrush..., exactly like I say you can find connection wherever you want. Why is Taurus ruled by Venus? Why not the other way? Why one ruling the other in the first place? And why is Venus related to marriage? I always heard that Venus was related to women. If in Virgo Venus is in declination (whatever that means) why does it imply that you should never get married? Why not that you have only 1 woman? Etc.?

So don't worry you need no help :-)

Venus (Greek Aphrodite) was the Roman goddess of love (related to fertility).

You are really not getting my point, I know they had all that. My point is, why does this make it right? They also had slavery, is that right too?

Believe it or not. Alexander believed in astrology. Newton and Einstein too, 

Greeks and Romans had their own oral tradition and believed in oracles. Does that mean they believed in ESP?

Too hard to say.... :help:

Believe it or not. Alexander believed in astrology. Newton and Einstein too,

Albert Einstein did not believe in astrology.

The claim that he did may have originated in a 1951 book by Swiss-Canadian astrologer Werner Hirsig that falsely attributed a pro-astrology quote to Einstein. In an authenticated letter 1943 letter, Einstein said:

I fully agree with you [Eugene Simon] concerning the pseudo-science of astrology. The interesting point is that this kind of superstition is so tenacious that it could persist through so many centuries.

(source: Letters of Note: Einstein on astrology)

:Exclamati Petrushkagoogol, Hypography’s site rules require that you back up your claims using links and references. You’re breaking that rule when you make a claim like your claim that Einstein believed in astrology, without including any supporting reference. It took me less than 60 seconds to Google the phrase “Einstein astrology” and find the above. Please follow our site rules, especially this one. We don’t want our forums to promote hoaxes and pseudo-science.

Albert Einstein did not believe in astrology.

The claim that he did may have originated in a 1951 book by Swiss-Canadian astrologer Werner Hirsig that falsely attributed a pro-astrology quote to Einstein. In an authenticated letter 1943 letter, Einstein said:

I fully agree with you [Eugene Simon] concerning the pseudo-science of astrology. The interesting point is that this kind of superstition is so tenacious that it could persist through so many centuries.

(source: Letters of Note: Einstein on astrology)

:Exclamati Petrushkagoogol, Hypography’s site rules require that you back up your claims using links and references. You’re breaking that rule when you make a claim like your claim that Einstein believed in astrology, without including any supporting reference. It took me less than 60 seconds to Google the phrase “Einstein astrology” and find the above. Please follow our site rules, especially this one. We don’t want our forums to promote hoaxes and pseudo-science.

I do not endorse belief in ANYTHING unscientific or unsubstantiated and astrology is one of them. I should have put in more research on this. Please note I was basing my opinion on the knowledge that I had garnered over a period of time, and as is evident I fumbled here... sorry  :innocent:

Yes it is. But then it is hard to discuss, because how can you defend astrology and their beliefs well if you were doing it only for the sake of the discussion but do not believe in it?

That, my friend, is the power of a forum. It makes you elicit your deepest concerns in a more palatable way. And even change your perception, albeit temporarily. :innocent:

Wait a sec, during the whole thread so far you were defending astrology I thought and now it turns out it iis not part of your believe system????

I have delineated my personal stand. What was earlier transpiring was the product of discussion. Is it clear now?

OK. To be clear, we – petrushkagoogol, sanctus, Einstein and I – agree that astrology is bunk.

Yes it is. But then it is hard to discuss, because how can you defend astrology and their beliefs well if you were doing it only for the sake of the discussion but do not believe in it?

It’s easy to promote an idea you don’t believe in – that is, to play the devil's advocate. Any moderately intelligent person can do it.

More important, I think, is having a clear understanding the purpose of playing the DA, of when and where it’s right to do so.

These are easily answered questions, I think. The purpose of the DA is to explore an idea – one you support, or hope to support – well, and to discover flaws and weaknesses in it. The right place and time to play it is where and when everyone is aware you’re doing so. A good way to assure this happens is to preface what you say or write with “playing the devil’s advocate”.

The danger with not being clear when playing the DA is that, rather than promoting an idea you support, you may support a nearly opposite idea.

So, to be clear, not playing the devil’s advocate astrology is bunk.