Science Forums

Stange Claim From A Physics And Math Forum Thread

xyz

Do you think it is worth me continuing, I am nobody and this is a lot of hard work and effort?

As I understand it, you have had no or almost no academic training in modern physics, but are attempting to convince people who have that most of modern physics is incorrect.

I don’t think this is a worthwhile use of your time.

I think you should learn modern mathematical physics to at least an undergraduate (bachelor) level.

For one reason, unless you know this, you are not almost certainly unable to read and understand the work of professional physicists. For another, without formal calculation and proof techniques, you will very often be unable to know when your speculation is wrong. Without the ability to know when you are wrong, your imagination is terribly limited, because you are unable to quickly abandon wasteful lines of thought. Finally, learning physics in a formal manner is, in my and the experience of most people I know, a beautiful experience.

I expect you’ve heard the metaphor “standing on the shoulders of giants”. Without a formal foundation in science, you can’t stand on the shoulders of the giants of science, because you can understand the language they use.

As I understand it, you have had no or almost no academic training in modern physics, but are attempting to convince people who have that most of modern physics is incorrect.

I don’t think this is a worthwhile use of your time.

I think you should learn modern mathematical physics to at least an undergraduate (bachelor) level.

For one reason, unless you know this, you are not almost certainly unable to read and understand the work of professional physicists. For another, without formal calculation and proof techniques, you will very often be unable to know when your speculation is wrong. Without the ability to know when you are wrong, your imagination is terribly limited, because you are unable to quickly abandon wasteful lines of thought. Finally, learning physics in a formal manner is, in my and the experience of most people I know, a beautiful experience.

I expect you’ve heard the metaphor “standing on the shoulders of giants”. Without a formal foundation in science, you can’t stand on the shoulders of the giants of science, because you can understand the language they use.

It is true that I am self taught, and yes maybe I am wrong, but when a person works out the human population will be all dead within the next 50 years or so approx at a guess, I thought science  would listen. nether mind though , lets all die and forget science.

No. Of course the observable universe isn't the whole thing, nobody thinks that it is. You still can't grasp relativity so your arguments are invalid.

Think about how two observers that are moving relative to each other can measure the same thing (light) moving at the same speed.

They think space is expanding, they think there is an ''edge'' , they think space ends at the stars and is expanding.  Are you reading the wrong things?

It is such a shame that our education system doesn't provide for more advanced science and math at the high school level.  I really believe that most of the first year college classes, and even some second year ones, could be taught in high school to at least a third of students, and perhaps more if society as a whole placed a greater value on academics over athletics, and I say that as someone who had athletic abilities in my youth.  I remember thinking it a shame that there were no cheerleaders at math meets!

It is true that I am self taught, and yes maybe I am wrong, but when a person works out the human population will be all dead within the next 50 years or so approx at a guess, I thought science  would listen. nether mind though , lets all die and forget science.

They have to be able to view you as a peer before they will listen, and even then it's not easy.  Many are happy to share their knowledge however.  

I would also like to see our publicly funded universities have an outreach program to make more knowledge available to the public.  I imagine something like the cooperative extension service they have for farmers.  (Although, as a farmer, I find much of their knowledge to be less advanced than I would like.)

It is such a shame that our education system doesn't provide for more advanced science and math at the high school level.  I really believe that most of the first year college classes, and even some second year ones, could be taught in high school to at least a third of students, and perhaps more if society as a whole placed a greater value on academics over athletics, and I say that as someone who had athletic abilities in my youth.  I remember thinking it a shame that there were no cheerleaders at math meets!

They have to be able to view you as a peer before they will listen, and even then it's not easy.  Many are happy to share their knowledge however.  

I would also like to see our publicly funded universities have an outreach program to make more knowledge available to the public.  I imagine something like the cooperative extension service they have for farmers.  (Although, as a farmer, I find much of their knowledge to be less advanced than I would like.)

Videos educate, a good clear comprehensive video with clear explanation sticks in the mind.

Videos educate, a good clear comprehensive video with clear explanation sticks in the mind.

Videos are useful, but not very interactive.  An advantage to a classroom situation is that you get to benefit from other student's questions that you might not have thought to ask yourself.  I always admired the openly struggling students who insisted on asking questions that seemed to annoy the other students!

Videos are useful, but not very interactive.  An advantage to a classroom situation is that you get to benefit from other student's questions that you might not have thought to ask yourself.  I always admired the openly struggling students who insisted on asking questions that seemed to annoy the other students!

I think for maths and certain aspects, yes indeed, an interactive experience is far better.  But if we wanted to explain length contraction or SR , a simple video says a 1000 words with a few words. 

I think the teacher would get annoyed with the questions of me lol, I certainly annoy the other students, most of them would rather not discuss something in fear of rejection or outrage so instantly post links to present information , then turn into the ''you are deluded'' mode.     I don't know how many times I have been told I am deluded for questioning things. 

I find forums a useful tool if you get a decent conversation and discussion going, keeping the rejection fearing students apart.  

They think space is expanding, they think there is an ''edge'' , they think space ends at the stars and is expanding.  Are you reading the wrong things?

In the standard model, the observable horizon exists because the further away you look, the further back in time your seeing so if you can't look further than the big bang. Nobody thinks the observable horizon is any kind of actual edge. The universe is homogeneous (looks roughly the same wherever you are) according to the standard model.

I really believe that most of the first year college classes, and even some second year ones, could be taught in high school to at least a third of students, and perhaps more if society as a whole placed a greater value on academics over athletics, and I say that as someone who had athletic abilities in my youth.  I remember thinking it a shame that there were no cheerleaders at math meets!

That's ridiculous! All the emphasis is placed on academics in schools while athletics and any form of creativity is always on the fringe.

Cheerleading is a physical activity, it only works along side another physical activity.

I don't know how many times I have been told I am deluded for questioning things.

You're not deluded for asking questions back you reject what you don't understand rather than trying to learn it.

Edited by A-wal

You're not deluded for asking questions back you reject what you don't understand rather than trying to learn it.

I think you missed the point of that.  If someone came to you and said, ''hey look, I am trying to learn ''this'' and  I understand it  but I see  it could be this particular way'', 

So the person is not trying to understand it or learn it, because they have already explained they understand it and learnt it. 

So then the burden is of the listener of the question or idea to try and understand.  So the same could be said that the person trying to teach, is rejecting what they don't understand when the person as already told you they understand the teacher. 

A forum conversation generally goes like this. 

Person trying to teach-''white light is a mixture of frequencies''

student - ''yes ok, I understand that, but what about if ..........''

Its not the student not listening, it is the teacher. 
Edited by xyz

In the standard model, the observable horizon exists because the further away you look, the further back in time your seeing so if you can't look further than the big bang. Nobody thinks the observable horizon is any kind of actual edge. The universe is homogeneous (looks roughly the same wherever you are) according to the standard model.

That's ridiculous! All the emphasis is placed on academics in schools while athletics and any form of creativity is always on the fringe.

Cheerleading is a physical activity, it only works along side another physical activity.

You also said no to continuing with my theory , although it is only  part written. Why no ? when you have not read the entire thing.   The theory of realistic and the main principle is not even written yet. 

The theory of realistic shows , The Box Singularity, the diagram is to large to upload sorry.

Principles 

All observers at rest in an inertial reference frame experience k=1 relative to another observer.

All observers in linear motion away from each other , reach a point of k=0 relative to each other 

Relative to either observer, it is the other observer that is a box singularity. 

The band-width of light propagating through space is 0. 

Edited by xyz

But you keep on taking the relativistic effects out of context, so your arguments don't make any sense. You need to understand it first before you can imagine what if scenarios.

I understand time dilation and the lorentz visual transformations, I understand Einstein and the constant of light.   I understand his little train analogies, 

I understand Newton and forces etc. 

I am not taking the relativity out of context , I am trying to advance it in to a theory of realistic. 

I have just come up with a length contraction experiment to show the actual object does not reduce in size. 

Edited by xyz

I understand time dilation and the lorentz visual transformations, I understand Einstein and the constant of light.

That's your problem. As long as you keep thinking that you'll never learn how it actually works.

The Lorentz transformations aren't a visual effect, they're a real change in the distance of time and space as measured from different inertial frames of reference. They have to be or the speed of light couldn't be constant.

You must have gone to a better school than I!  I have seen a few school budgets, and I can tell you from what I have seen, on a per-student basis,  the spending is higher on athletics.  There may be fewer students involved in athletics, but they get more attention.  I also know that I was more remembered by my classmates for my athletic abilities than for my academic ones.

As for cheerleeding for the math team, of course it would be ridiculous!  I also think it would be hilarious and fun!  You obviously have no appreciation for my sense of humor.

Sorry to have gone off on a tangent, but it could save a lot of tuition money if more students entered college with more of the basics behind them, and it could fuel more interest in more advanced fields of physics.

You must have gone to a better school than I!  I have seen a few school budgets, and I can tell you from what I have seen, on a per-student basis,  the spending is higher on athletics.  There may be fewer students involved in athletics, but they get more attention.  I also know that I was more remembered by my classmates for my athletic abilities than for my academic ones.

How does a focus on academics over athletics make it a better school? How much time was spent on maths and English at your school compared to athletics?

As for cheerleeding for the math team, of course it would be ridiculous!  I also think it would be hilarious and fun!  You obviously have no appreciation for my sense of humor.

My sense of humour was temporally removed from me by an annoying forum member. You're right, that would be immensely funny and it should definitely happen!

Sorry to have gone off on a tangent, but it could save a lot of tuition money if more students entered college with more of the basics behind them, and it could fuel more interest in more advanced fields of physics.

I agree. Special relativity especially would inspire a lot of students to learn about physics because it's so damn cool. :)

Edited by A-wal

How does a focus on academics over athletics make it a better school? How much time was spent on maths and English at your school compared to athletics?

There was a high degree of variability as to the time spent on math, science, and English in my school from student to student, but for the ones involved in sports, when you count the travel time to the sporting events, for some of the ones involved in fall, winter, and spring sports, they were spending almost as much time in athletics as academics.

It just seems to me that athletics beyond basic physical fitness, should be separated from the school budgets.  

There was a high degree of variability as to the time spent on math, science, and English in my school from student to student, but for the ones involved in sports, when you count the travel time to the sporting events, for some of the ones involved in fall, winter, and spring sports, they were spending almost as much time in athletics as academics.

I think there must be a much stronger focus on athletics in the US than there is in the UK.

It just seems to me that athletics beyond basic physical fitness, should be separated from the school budgets.  

Why? Why should academics take a more prominent role than athletics?

I think creativity should be given the same value as knowledge too, but that's a whole other discussion.