Science Forums

Making Avatars For Fulldive

Preston

And why is that?

Diving with the nervegear would technically be no different than playing with a mouse and keyboard. You could either use voice recognition or read the player's thoughts (I really don't know the possibility of this one) to customize your avatar.

Edited by xTcHero

How would you use voice commands without first having the avatar you use while in FullDive if you talk through the avatar.

I don't know if your other idea would work or not, but it's a good idea.

I have thought about this and in my opinion it would be easier to create an avatar first on the computer then send it to the Nerve Gear account. But I still want to hear other ideas that might be more convenient like yours.

By the way I can't see any way using Nerve Gear is like using a mouse and keyboard can you explain that part.

How would you use voice commands without first having the avatar you use while in FullDive if you talk through the avatar.

You could just have a preconfigured temporary avatar before creating it, or not have any at all. Your avatar is what you see yourself as; technically, it isn't anything. I don't believe you would talk through the avatar - remember, the nerve gear is basically a advanced BCI to pick up signals from your brain, so it wouldn't matter if you had a physical body within the game or not. All you would need is a prompt in front of your eyes to guide you through the character creation.

I have thought about this and in my opinion it would be easier to create an avatar first on the computer then send it to the Nerve Gear account. But I still want to hear other ideas that might be more convenient like yours.

It might be easier indeed; but I don't believe it would be more convenient. If you do it through, say, an application, you would need to do an extra step before diving.

By the way I can't see any way using Nerve Gear is like using a mouse and keyboard can you explain that part.

What I meant is that when diving, you're still feeding the game with inputs - the input is your brain signals instead of you moving your mouse and/or keyboard. There really is no difference, except how you input your commands.

Edited by xTcHero

There are devices they use in CGI all the time that effectively map the facial movements of humans, considering that no matter what you still need to buy the hardware to play, maybe there could also be an included facial mapping device?

like this:

star-citizen-38-of-57.jpg?quality=80&w=6

I believe as the tech progresses we will see the lines on the face rendered redundant.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I believe the issue with avatars is specific to the activity you're engaging in. A perfect FDVR device would be reading brain signals as they are produced, so the need for a pre-configured avatar wouldn't be necessary unless something called for it. Though thinking about it, since your NerveGear-esque device would likely be hooked up to your computer, it could require you to make an avatar prior to your first dive to use for everything, and then create a game-specific avatar (or whatever you are making one for) when you first dive into a game. Think of it as the avatar for your specific device in which you use to go into the virtual world, and then use it to alter or create a new avatar for games, forums, etc. There was an animated movie that portrayed this very well, though I can't recall the title.

Edited by CaelesMessorem