Science Forums

Electromagnetic Waves, Radiation And Effects

Kiriro

thank you for your care; in this topic I would like to do some questions about the effects of electromagnetic waves. since many years, I have seen many evolutions and progressions in the field of tecnology, and this thing is very important for the world, however, I asked myself a question: this increas of tecnology increases in turn the electromagnetic waves that there are, so what is the real effects which have on the human body? I have seen many answers about it, but each of them  only give certain assumptions.

the electromagnetic waves could have the same of effect of radiations, in the field of genetic mutations in protein synthesis?

There was a post on reddit similar to this where one commenter made a really good analogy it basically /thread's most discussions, but see what you think

I'll address the Wifi part, as that's what I've looked into.

• Wifi operates in either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz spectrum.
  • Your home router puts out somewhere between 100 mW (milliwats, or 20dBm) to 400 mW.

• Water "resonates" at 2.45Ghz. (more accurately, the too-heavy-on-one-side water molecule will respond and change position when you alternate the field)

• The average home microwave operates at 2.45Ghz centered, but will waffle down to around 2.3Ghz or so (they're not super accurate, and do not need to be).

• The average home microwave puts out around 1000 W (Watts).

• There's no such thing as perfect shielding; 1-2 W escapes from your microwave.

• From this perspective alone, you get more 2.4Ghz radiation when you microwave a cup of tea in the morning, than you would ever get from your Wifi router all day.

• From this perspective alone, if you stand in view of a gigantic fusion reactor for a few minutes, you'll get more 2.4 Ghz radiation than your router would likely provide you in your entire life. We call this state 'daytime' and 'going outside'.

• 9 months later...

thank you for your care; in this topic I would like to do some questions about the effects of electromagnetic waves. since many years, I have seen many evolutions and progressions in the field of tecnology, and this thing is very important for the world, however, I asked myself a question: this increas of tecnology increases in turn the electromagnetic waves that there are, so what is the real effects which have on the human body? I have seen many answers about it, but each of them  only give certain assumptions.

the electromagnetic waves could have the same of effect of radiations, in the field of genetic mutations in protein synthesis?

Don't confuse radio frequency (EM) waves with ionising radiation. 

EM waves at frequencies above about 70 MHz are efficiently converted into heat within the human body but are unable to cause damage at a cellular / molecular level at exposure levels encountered within a normal urban environment.

Regulatory EM field strength limits for all radio transmitters is based on detectable heating of human tissue.