Science Forums

Too Young To Be Old

Maine farmer

About two years shy of 50, and I can still do everything I could do at 20.  It just takes longer and hurts more!  Last month I got hit by a cow and heard something "snap", and one foot went a little numb.  I hobbled through the rest of my chores, and when the cows were all settled for the night I had my wife take me to the hospital to be sure nothing was broken, and nothing was.  Not sure what snapped, but the swelling in my ankle is mostly gone now, and if I pay attention to how I step, I can walk, and even run with only a slight limp.  It used to be getting hit by a cow would barely slow me down!

It is getting me to thinking that I should prepare myself for the day when I can no longer farm.  I know I won't ever be able to retire, even if I can save enough money, I've got to have something to do to have a purpose  in life.  I should start thinking about a second career. That is , of course, if I don't farm till the day I die.

To continue with what I last posted, What science related careers are possible for an aging farmer?  I am a fairly quick study and always love learning new things.  My favorite courses when I was in college were lab classes of any kind.  Does anybody know of anyone who has made meaningful contributions to science when starting at older ages?

To continue with what I last posted, What science related careers are possible for an aging farmer?

As a farmer, you’re already an “applied biotechnologist”, so an obvious science career path is to build on that, getting whatever education you need to get into the microbiology of farm stuff, then get into the business of genetweaking for better food plants, or making novel stuff like drugs and advanced materials using genetweaked plants and animals.

The obvious and practical aside, what do you most love? Even if a successful career in a difficult, hard science, like theoretical physics, if more than most aging brains can pull off, the unsuccessful pursuit of something for which you have real passion can be more rewarding than success in one that doesn’t much inspire you.

I'm about 20 years shy of 50, and I hope that when I'm 50 I'm brave enough to start a new career. 

Being involved in farming for most of my life has been not unlike continuously starting a new career.  When I was a child, I thought a 100 cow farm was huge, and now my brother and I have that many milkers, and manage 400 acres of hay fields with just two of us doing all the management and labor, all made possible only by adapting and adopting new technologies. Due to a decline in the number of dairy farms in our area, the availability and affordability of some of the services we have relied on in the past are also in decline, which has in turn made it necessary for us to learn new skills.  I enjoy the challenges, both the physical and mental, but I have doubts about how many years I will have the stamina.

I had to bypass a sensor on our computer feeder a while back so we could fill the hoppers manually with a switch.  It was 10:30 at night, and I had been on the go since 5:00 that morning.  I barely felt alive when I got into bed that night, and not much better when I got out of bed 6 hours later.

About two years shy of 50, and I can still do everything I could do at 20.  It just takes longer and hurts more!  Last month I got hit by a cow and heard something "snap", and one foot went a little numb.  I hobbled through the rest of my chores, and when the cows were all settled for the night I had my wife take me to the hospital to be sure nothing was broken, and nothing was.  Not sure what snapped, but the swelling in my ankle is mostly gone now, and if I pay attention to how I step, I can walk, and even run with only a slight limp.  It used to be getting hit by a cow would barely slow me down!

It is getting me to thinking that I should prepare myself for the day when I can no longer farm.  I know I won't ever be able to retire, even if I can save enough money, I've got to have something to do to have a purpose  in life.  I should start thinking about a second career. That is , of course, if I don't farm till the day I die.

Probably a sprain.  I came down a bank and stepped into a hole at the bottom and my ankle popped.  I gimped around for about a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To continue with what I last posted, What science related careers are possible for an aging farmer?  I am a fairly quick study and always love learning new things.  My favorite courses when I was in college were lab classes of any kind.  Does anybody know of anyone who has made meaningful contributions to science when starting at older ages?

You could hook up with a local university and start contributing to the studies -and restoration- of native plants. Though this gentleman of Washington State recently passed away at 94, his story is inspiring. :)

Don Knoke leads search for plant life in Kittitas County

ELLENSBURG — Don Knoke of Thorp spends his time hiking up hillsides and leading groups in the discovery and appreciation of native plant life. Tag along, and it is obvious he was born for this kind of work.

And he was, along with being born to be a World War II naval transport pilot, a husband, a father and a farmer.

Luckily for Knoke in the last 91 years he’s had time to fit in all these things and more.

Was there a road he could have taken, one that led directly to a career as a botanist with academic honors? If there was, it was not one Knoke contemplated.

• 7 months later...

I'm about 2+ years shy of 70. I've had two heart attacks and have a neurological disease that has me pretty much house bound and in considerable pain a good amount of time. I retired at age 50 and as a favor I've been doing some content editing for a few author friends for the last several years. Currently, I'm in the process of writing five books. The nearest to completion will be ready for editing in a few weeks.

If you have the will, you can do most anything you set your mind to. I've known guys you've been shot up or injured pretty good who have gone on to have great lives. One of the authors I know is dyslexic, yet has written 27+ books.

Never sell yourself short or set easy goals.

• 2 weeks later...

...Not sure what snapped,...

Did they check for tendon damage?  It's hard to spot that off the hop, especially while things are still swelling. Go back for a range of motion check when the swelling is gone.

As for alt careers. it would be worth your time to take a few night(or mail order) classes to find what you're interested in and what you're good at. Even before you invest in those, check out some of the free online resources to broaden your base and get an idea of what lights your fire.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm 

http://www.oeconsortium.org

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEHVhv0SBMpP75JbzJShqw/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 20 years shy of 50, and I hope that when I'm 50 I'm brave enough to start a new career. 

You will be surprised how much you can do at 50 :) - I know a nurse for more than 30 years who can no longer take the stressful hospital scene decided to take a course in LPN and now works less hours for more money. :) There is an endless list of possibilities 

• 1 month later...

You could always teach High School Agriculture. My Agriculture teacher back in 1978 was my neighbor for about 11 years before he passed away recently.  After he retired from teaching he became a legislator in the SC State House of Representatives for about 12 years.  He had a 15.9 acre mini-farm behind me (on the next street over).  On a personal note, I spent 2 years sitting on my arse after my shoulder reconstruction surgery and I now plan on never retiring.

Edited by fahrquad