Science Forums

Disabling Body Control With Electromagnets?

WetcloudCorp

Moderation note: the first 2 posts of this thread were split from the 17Robots Fulldive Vr Company thread because they discuss a different topic.

Hi I'm 13, I'm good at biology and i know how to control character in the game but disable body control in reality, just change the way of brain wave from body to the AmuSphere or Nervegear with electromagnetic It's the best way.

You movement that your want from reality will change to the movement in the game. The problem is the electromagnetic that can damage your brain or neuron system.

Hi I'm 13, I'm good at biology and i know how to control character in the game but disable body control in reality, just change the way of brain wave from body to the AmuSphere or Nervegear with electromagnetic It's the best way.

You movement that your want from reality will change to the movement in the game. The problem is the electromagnetic that can damage your brain or neuron system.

Hate to be the one to metaphorically rain on your parade, but electromagnets strong enough to disrupt the human body would require an immense power supply delivering extremely high amperage to the magnet. The necessary amperage would require an exceptionally bulky power system of large transformers and high gauge wiring to deal with the high heat. The reason being that all homes in north america run on 120/240 V systems with high voltage-low amperage power. You would need a massive room just to fit all this in, and you would also need an amazing air conditioner to keep it a reasonable temperature with all that high amp power-line in there it would be like an oven. 

MRI machines are giant electromagnets and they do not affect the body in the way you describe. Anything more powerful than an electromagnet in an MRI machine will possess one of the following problems:

• Expensive to build
  • Expensive to run
  • Inadvertent attraction of metallic objects (such as satellites) sitting meters away.

Apart from that, your original post doesn't describe anything: you basically are saying "It works because electromagnets". On what biological basis/process are you talking about?

Hate to be the one to metaphorically rain on your parade, but electromagnets strong enough to disrupt the human body would require an immense power supply delivering extremely high amperage to the magnet. The necessary amperage would require an exceptionally bulky power system of large transformers and high gauge wiring to deal with the high heat.  The reason being that all homes in north america run on 120/240 V systems with high voltage-low amperage power. You would need a massive room just to fit all this in, and you would also need an amazing air conditioner to keep it a reasonable temperature with all that high amp power-line in there it would be like an oven. 

You do indeed a high amperage - but that does not mean you need large transformers, or even big power systems.  MRI magnets are charged from a relatively small power supply, and once the field is established, the power supply is turned off.  Since the magnets are superconducting, nothing interferes with the continuous circulation of current.  You would need neither massive power supply nor large air conditioners, just a small supply to initially create the current.  (You'd also need that small supply to periodically recharge the magnet due to the eddy currents it induces in metal, and of course a supply of whatever refrigerant the magnet uses.)

Edited by billvon

What I feel is the more important question is: In what way will electromagnets interact with the body to disable external movement while someone is in "Full-Dive"? I think a more in-depth explanation would be more helpful than what is required to make the idea work.

Agreed, there's alway a tech tech way to do things, but first of all how magnetic field will put in a human body in sort of "sleep paralysis" and wake it up at a time we decide?

Last I checked, MRI machines don't disable the human body. Or even come close.

They will disable a mechanical wrist watch as I found out the hard way.  Also if you have any tattoos made with ink containing iron oxides, or metal filings in you from welding or grinding, they will heat up enough to burn.

Edited by fahrquad

You must be at a bar.  Drink one for me and call a taxi.  Unless of course she is driving.

Well of course, wouldn't have it any other way. Won't even stay for breakfast, will just stumble home the usual way after leaving an out of service cell number on her table and 76¢

As far as the MRI, I had one on my left knee before the first of two knee surgeries and was about 45 minutes late for a first or second date with my current wife of 17 years because my mechanical watch stopped during the MRI.

I was single for the first 38 years and married for the last 17.  If this doesn't work out, I am never getting married again, especially at 55+.

• 2 months later...

Electromagnetism will not affect the central nervous system, but very small amounts of electricity will definitely affect it.  Brainwaves refer to a varying pattern of electrical activity in the brain.  An electroencephalograph (EEG) measures these electrical patterns, just as an electrocardiogram (EKG) measures electrical patterns in the heart muscles.  A relatively high voltage/low amperage charge such as what is delivered by a Taser or stun gun is enough to incapacitate all voluntary muscles in the body.  I know the one time I volunteered to be Tased in a police training exercise, I could not move, could not hear, could not see, and could not speak for what seemed like an eternity, but what was actually about 20 seconds.