Science Forums

Creationists Or Evolutionists-Do You Know What And Why You Believe What You Do?

Chrysanthemum

Currently I'm researching the information concerning the origins of the earth. So far I found that many people knew what the believe but not why or how. 

I'm looking for opinions/information on these 4 questions  

1) How old is the Earth and life? Why?

2) Did man and apes share a common ancestor? Why or why not?

3) How long are the days in Genesis 1 in the Bible? Why?

4) Were Adam and Eve real people? Why or why not?

Currently I'm researching the information concerning the origins of the earth. So far I found that many people knew what the believe but not why or how. 

I'm looking for opinions/information on these 4 questions

1) How old is the Earth and life? Why?

The earth is approximately 4.54 billion years old, radiometric dating give us this figure.

2) Did man and apes share a common ancestor? Why or why not?

Yes humans are a subset of apes, easily confirmed with radiometric dating...

3) How long are the days in Genesis 1 in the Bible? Why?

No one knows, genesis is mythology And has no evidence of reality

No adam and eve are parts of our mythology and have no basis in fact and are fictitious..

• 7 months later...

Creationists Or Evolutionists

Creationists are a kind of religionist. “Evolutionists” isn’t a term used much except by creationists, but can be understood to refer to all credible biologists, because biological evolution is a practically a universally accepted theory.

So I don’t think it makes sense to make the comparison “creationists or evolutionists”, because it’s comparing a religion to a scientific profession. It’s about as sensible as “Presbyterian or plumber”.

No adam and eve are parts of our mythology and have no basis in fact and are fictitious.

Adam Sandler is a real person, and Eve is a rapper (not that I know much about rap).

Y-MRCA and mt-MRCA (AKA Y-chromosomal Adam and mitochondrial Eve) were also actual individuals, and unless our best microbiological genetic analysis is dramatically wrong, were anatomically modern human beings living about 300,000 to 100,000 years ago.

Unlike the mythical Biblical Adam and Eve, Y-MRCA and mt-MRCA were not the first man and woman, and though there’s a tiny possibility they lived at the same time, most likely lived tens of thousands of years apart.

They were definately not named Adam and Eve though. They were probably named Big-Grunt and Little-Grunt, and never went near any apple trees with snakes in them.

What Homo Sapiens Sapiens 200,000 years ago were named, or if they had names at all, is an interesting and very difficult question.

It’s pretty clear from the fossil record that we and earlier hominids as old as 5,000,000 years ago were physically capable of making language sounds (my favorite theory holds that this came about because of changes to the larynx due to changes in our neck and head structure due to a permanent bipedal stance), but when we first developed enough language to have names is unanswered.

So Y-MRCA and mt-MRCA may have had very lyrical names, or just be known as “hey, you”, or no more had names that present day non-human primates that haven’t been names by humans do.

What Homo Sapiens Sapiens 200,000 years ago were named, or if they had names at all, is an interesting and very difficult question.

It’s pretty clear from the fossil record that we and earlier hominids as old as 5,000,000 years ago were physically capable of making language sounds (my favorite theory holds that this came about because of changes to the larynx due to changes in our neck and head structure due to a permanent bipedal stance), but when we first developed enough language to have names is unanswered.

So Y-MRCA and mt-MRCA may have had very lyrical names, or just be known as “hey, you”, or no more had names that present day non-human primates that haven’t been names by humans do.

Interesting link, thanks.