Science Forums

Using Hypnosis

Laoca

As interesting as all of this is.  Has anyone ever actually considered the value of using methods that have been discovered through hypnosis in order to add to the systems?  Consider the phantom limb phenomenon for starters.  Some people who lose a limb often feel itching in the missing limb, and at times feel as though the limb is still there and are able to have sensations in it.  As much as everything has been turned to a single view in physics, computer science and biomedical, you may want to consider that people have been able to become paralyzed through hypnosis, have felt pain, cold, heat and most sensations imaginable through it.  Many people don't really study or look into the potential associated with using the mind itself to achieve something such as a VR interface for sensory input.  It simply uses the mechanisms of the mind already in place without any intrusive methods. Perhaps a shift of focus may speed up the process if we consider more possible methods.  Suggestion itself is quite a powerful tool that most of the scientific field has attributed to fraud for a great deal of time, and yet research shows otherwise.  It shows potential.  I think even attempting to implement like this might actually save decades of research, or create a viable system before a more non evasion physical system could be put in place that would increase the funds and research available, as well as the interest of the general public in perfecting such a system.

That is a really interesting idea and approach to something like this. But at the same time, how would we use the hypnosis in a system. Wouldn't there need to be some person suggesting these things to you. Also, the technology will block communications with the "outside world" per se. So there doesn't seem like a method of outside forces tricking your mind. Also, the brain has evolved in the last couple of decades. The brain now has the ability to assume things based on past experiences. And if we were to stimulate the nerves needed to create the environment, we could potentially trick the brain into making assumptions. So for example, if we are placed into a desert, based on what people have told us about deserts, our brain might think that it is really hot, more so if it sees a sun beaming light onto the surface. The hypnosis idea is really a neat concept which I would love to have implemented, but the methods recently could also have the same effect. The paralysis thing might be plausible, though. There has been a lot of discussion on how we were going to cut motor response from the physical body so that you only have the best and fullest experience in the virtual world, and some interesting theories have come up as a result. But it seems that today it would be risky to try to do a non invasive mean of blocking nerve impulses from the body due to poential inaccuracies and our technology not being precise enough to miss the more vital nerves of the body, so if you could research how we could implement it into the design, that would be really helpful. Maybe we could look at it in a different way. I don't think we are going to have a problem come the near future, though, because of how fast the world is growing and advancing. But in either case, I would love to see what you are going to be able to find on the topic. Every contribution helps. And due to the lack of design information we get from the actual series(though a lot), we are still going to need ideas of achieving the stuff that wasn't mentioned, but still there. I really look forward to seeing what you can come up with. Now that I think about it, is anyone actually trying to come up with a design for what it would actually look like and how all of the pieces are going to fit together? I would love to try but only I fpepme haven't attempted to yet. And what about the diamond cpus. Those don't seem too far away now and I want to know if anyone is actually doing anything about that as well. Maybe we should email the creator of sword art online and see what his ideas behind the tech were(just an idea)?

As interesting as all of this is.  Has anyone ever actually considered the value of using methods that have been discovered through hypnosis in order to add to the systems?  Consider the phantom limb phenomenon for starters.  Some people who lose a limb often feel itching in the missing limb, and at times feel as though the limb is still there and are able to have sensations in it.  As much as everything has been turned to a single view in physics, computer science and biomedical, you may want to consider that people have been able to become paralyzed through hypnosis, have felt pain, cold, heat and most sensations imaginable through it.  Many people don't really study or look into the potential associated with using the mind itself to achieve something such as a VR interface for sensory input.  It simply uses the mechanisms of the mind already in place without any intrusive methods. Perhaps a shift of focus may speed up the process if we consider more possible methods.  Suggestion itself is quite a powerful tool that most of the scientific field has attributed to fraud for a great deal of time, and yet research shows otherwise.  It shows potential.  I think even attempting to implement like this might actually save decades of research, or create a viable system before a more non evasion physical system could be put in place that would increase the funds and research available, as well as the interest of the general public in perfecting such a system.

The real problem with hypnosis lies in the susceptibility in some people to it.  This has three main factors to it.  However you may consider that anything you do in hypnosis can be done through suggestion as well, it does not require a trance state, simply a repetition of words. I have been studying it quite a bit recently.  Physical responses to thought is possible, so using VR where vision is involved would actually make it more plausible.  The rate at which an individual falls asleep, the amount of trust he person has in the one doing the suggestion, and the amount of times the person encounters the suggestion(How often then are told the effects are real such as it would only work if a continuous concept was given to them on a daily or weekly basis, simply logging into to a void zone for a few minutes before the start would be enough) are the susceptibility factors.  It is also important to note that suggestion does work, although if someone doesn't believe it works it wont.  Hence it is not some perfect solution, but would assists definitely as a complement to the system and a possible temporary way to draw more attention to the system from the general public.  The goal alone should not simply be to create a VR system at this point, but to find a way to get others not interested in the technology to pursue it as well to help speed its creation.  The suggestions can be implemented without the use of a physical person.  Another point to note is when multiple suggestions are given to people, they tend to follow different ones, not all of them.  So it requires a baseline to understand the person using the system.  I am mostly suggesting though considering finding ways to trick the mind as opposed to some other methods in the mean time, make the mind believe the body is paralyzed, so it makes it paralyzed, make the mind believe its in the desert, so the body will react as though it is in it.  This however has a bit of danger associated with it as well.  The world is not as limited in what is known as the limited knowledge we have here.  My studies in in both psychology and physics.  The more different sources the better the system will grow and become.  You also will have issues if you simply try to map out he human mind and use that as a way to determine movement.  Not all brains are literally wired the same, there are slight differences, you would more need a way to detect and determine the associated movement with activation of certain parts of the brain.  There is also the potential of simply using brain waves and interference with them through no invasive methods(yes we know you can alter a circuit through magnetism).  However its literally like trying to alter or even complete a circuit board from a few inches away with material in the way, not to mention it is layers and layers of circuitry all spread out in various ways and directions.  You should also consider there isn't much of a clear understanding as to where the mind is in regards to the brain, while most people consider it the same nowadays, the physical location of our consciousness(what I would refer to as the mind) is not clearly understood.  As far as we know, figuring that out may allow for a way to create a direct conscious interface, basically to transfer consciousness into a system.  It is likely though that this type of technology will likely exist more for the next few generations then our own.  More likely that we may with luck see it on the tail end out of our lives.  As is such the nature of the world, today we live in the dreams and concepts of our predecessors.  

^ +1 to this. Hypnosis is a good theory, and to a degree it has something to do with the tech itself (levels of conciousness). It's just a tad unreliable, given peoples reactions and suseptability to it.

I agree @JimSolo. It sounds like a good idea and an interesting concept, and for the exact same reason. You basically took what I was trying to say and shrunk it into one sentence(which isn't my strong suit).