Science Forums

@NotBrad Well, in light of what you said, you couldn't rot away forever. I mean, if you're in this device playing god and all you ever do is be in the device and rot away, you'd probably die after a week at most. But in terms of criminals, yes, we would have to make it quite literally illegal. Otherwise a platform like Virtual Reality could become an extremely dangerous system for criminals. 

@ AuraNightheart,maybe not. If the VR world were to be used as a substitute for drugs and alcohol, the whole criminal organization issue could potentially be no more. Let me explain, as of right now, drug cartels and arms dealers thrive off the drug trade. This is because drugs are illegal to produce in all post-industrial revolution countries, meaning those countries with the most expendable income are lacking in something they want really badly. Because of this drug cartels can control the supply to maintain high prices while also maintaining a monopoly on the market and forcing the price up. Using this huge cash flow(some analyst suggest cartels can gross more than 2 mil per day in some cases) they buy arms from arms dealers and illegal manufactures of ammunition. This in turn supplies gangsters and the Mafia worldwide with arms. But this all relies on the fact that they control a commodity that people want, but once that high can be attained for free online they will hopefully collapse. If this were to happen, where will extremist groups get their initial armament from? If they cannot get enough weapons together to take military stockpiles by force they will never get off the ground. Once this happens the issue of radicals will be significantly reduced as they will simply lack the funding due to weapon shortages. 

Hope this isn't too much to digest, and obviously everything works much cleaner on paper than in real life

Neither actually. What I mean is that today we have the problem of film and video games romanticizing violence quite a bit. But we have a television or monitor and a remote between us and that prevents true immersion. But if you give kids an FPS with fully simulated recoil, gore, violence in general, you end up with games that raise teenage radicals, murderers, criminals, etc. because if they play a game that has all that, they will not be affected the same way in real life any more, they will have the problem of not having any real sense of reality and not be able to make proper choices. Sure it would be amazing for the military, for training soldiers in combat tactics and real regular force warfare, but that is the problem as well. If you can train soldiers to be killers, you can train students to be terrorists. And that is why I think regulation will never allow it through unless we can be sure that no kids will ever get to play.

Because bad people will use it train bad people, to do bad things

that is precisely what I mean, they found that the interface directly broke immersion and therefore there was no logical correlation between desensitization to violence and violent games. That does not mean that an interface in which there could plausibly be no barrier to true immersion that this would remain the case. With a true VR world, there would be no discernible difference between the game and real life. Just like the games and films that inspired much of the interest in this genre, it is only a game if you can respawn. Just like the Matrix. Just like SAO. The moment permadeath becomes a thing, it becomes real life regardless of whether or not it is within a computer. That is the truth. Now if a player were to dive into the game at a young age, learn to kill with his own hands without any real break from total immersion, then you have complete and undeniable desensitization to violence.

It’s important to understand that the optic nerve is not a single nerve, but a bundle of 700000 to 1700000 nerve fibers. So you can’t simoly stimulate it with a single analog or digitalally modulated voltage like that produced by a camera. In computer hardware terms, the optic system is a ”parallel, not serial, interface” – massively more parallel than the electronic communication schemes to which these terms are usually applied.

There is another important difference between the optic nerve and a "camera cable."  The human retina does most of the basic processing of our visual input - detects motion, edges, curves, contrast, points etc.  Once the signal gets to your optic nerve it is already pre-processed.  This means that you can't just "map" nerves to rod and cone cells, and then use that map to figure out how to turn a bitmap into a visual signal to be transferred to an optic nerve.  You have to know how the retina works (and everyone's retina is wired a little differently) - then perform the same pre-processing on any visual information you want to impart to the nerve.

• 2 weeks later...

*Zipping across the web for thing like this* (literal image would be more hiting)

Hello 17Robots, and every other person on this post, I am Sam from the Nerve Gear Project. I have been looking for people like you and post like this. You want to start creating the Nerve Gear, it's great. I am thinking about the same thing, everyone want one and everyone need one.

Coming to the point, everyone want to create the Nerve Gear, but everyone is sharing their ideas in random place, (I'm probably lucky to have stumble across this forum website). For now, at the Nerve Gear Project we are trying to relocate all those shared thought so we can work as a collective mind, as a community, and what better site than Youtube to do that, where a cat video can hit the millions views in a matter of a few hours.

Right now, the channel migth look small, but with a little contribution from believers who dream about the same thing, who knows what could be accomplished? And this is only the beginning!! 

Some may take this post as spamming, some might not. But whatever the way you see this you're free to take any decision you want.

You can decide to ignore this, or actually hear me and visit the project on Youtube. (the link is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC55L7r7STa0UPpB6igLwKaw )  

Like I said earlier, right now you will not find much, but there is a bunch of video already planned out for the future.

If you have any question, I will gladly answer back.

Whatever you choose to do, go on dreaming of the future!

Coming to the point, everyone want to create the Nerve Gear, but everyone is sharing their ideas in random place, (I'm probably lucky to have stumble across this forum website). For now, at the Nerve Gear Project we are trying to relocate all those shared thought so we can work as a collective mind, as a community, and what better site than Youtube to do that, where a cat video can hit the millions views in a matter of a few hours.

I'm sorry but I disagree, Youtube is not the best site to work as a community. It's more of a 1 way communication method to promote what you've done. 

Let me introduce myself, my name is Harris. I go by "Vortex" online. I am currently a computer science and engineering major focusing on virtual reality and brain computer interfaces

A while back I made a community ( Forum | Subreddit | Slack) dedicated to the creation of an advanced virtual reality brain computer interface. (Like the nervegear in SAO.) I am currently heavily looking into ways we can use our brains as virtual input.

We have around 70 members (including field experts) and are still growing. I would love for you to join us there and contribute to the research of such a device.

Feel free to contact me through reply, PM or skype (twistex222)

Edited by HarrisR

"I'm sorry but I disagree, Youtube is not the best site to work as a community. It's more of a 1 way communication method to promote what you've done. "

"A while back I made a community ( Forum | Subreddit | Slack) dedicated to the creation of an advanced virtual reality brain computer interface. (Like the nervegear in SAO.) I am currently heavily looking into ways we can use our brains as virtual input."

We have around 70 members (including field experts) and are still growing. I would love for you to join us there and contribute to the research of such a device.

Feel free to contact me through reply, PM or skype (twistex222)

I need to agree that Youtube is not the best 2 way communication, but right now what is needed is a place that every one can see. Before this Summer, I never went on a forum/blog, and even now i'm still confused on how they work.

For the people like I was before Summer, finding and using a blog is kinda scary in a way, and finding a unknown website like your group did, even via google, those people will just go on website they already know. (ex:Wikipédia?)

And for the offer, that sound interesting, let me contact you via skype.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is simply amazing. I just finished watching SAO recently and I've had the ambition to do this. I never knew that there would be other people to work on this as well. I would love to work on this VR technology with you guys. Im 15 but I am planning to become a software engineer. Im taking Web Design at them moment and I am taking Several engineering classes next year (Intro to Comp Sci, Ap Comp Sci, Mechanics and other things). I would love to help you guys as much as I can. My mother is also a medical nurse so if any of you need some questions from someone in a medical field, I will be willing to ask her. I'm learning html and I am working with lua at the moment. I plan to study C# and java in the summer as well. I also plan to practice with Ui Design. I plan to use Photoshop techniques to be more creative and imaginative when creating things. When it gets to the game stage i would love to help work with the design of that was well. Thais may not impress any of you but I do want you all to know how ambitious I am and what i can offer.  https://gyazo.com/275b47f63b77cb70b40fdeac108ff686 - Something I made in the summer last year in Roblox Studio (used rbxlua to code it)