Science Forums

Jimsolos Dive-Tech Development Thread

JimSolo

We are still alive...... to an extent I guess lol. I think Mikhail was looking to start digiaxon v. 2. Harris and I are still chugging along at Nerve. Nice to see you again though ;)

You say digiaxon, does that have anything to do with the AxonVR?

I looked up Axon VR, it is extremely cool. I hadn't heard of it before.

I’ve not heard of this enterprise either. This isn’t surprising, as according to archive.org (an essential tool for any serious internet user), AxonVR has only been visible since 5 May 2016. According to this blog post by its marketing manager:

Since 2013, AxonVR has been in "stealth mode," developing technology to make full-body, fully immersive virtual reality possible. The team has spent the last three years designing the AxonVR platform, filing the necessary patents, and building prototypes. Now that they've completed a wicked cool demo unit, AxonVR is ready to share their story with the world.

The “AxonSuit/AxonStation” system they’re touting pretty much matches what I called a “deep dive waldo (DDW)” in this post 17 Jan 2015 post. The best depiction I’ve encountered of such a system for VR use was in Ernest Cline’s 2011 novel Ready Player One. Though obscure other than to science fiction readers, this story, and the VR technology central to its plot, may become better known, as a Steven Speilberg-directed movie of it is planned for release 30 Mar 2018.

I’m strongly suspect systems like these will be technically, though perhaps not commercially, successful, within 10 years. My expectations for BCI-based ones aren’t as optimistic, and I have a strong suspicion they may not be technically feasible for many decades, or ever.

I’m eager to see how people like “waldo”-based systems like AxonVR’s. I hope and expect that they will find the experience it provides deeply immersive, and these systems will have at least marginal commercial success, enough to support a rich game development community for them, leading to something like the technologically bright future in Cline’s novel.

I remember a contact telling me he'd heard something like AxonVR was in the works by an American company though he didn't have a name at the time (this was around January time), good to see they've made headway with it. They're using much a similar control setup I plan on using (with the UE4 integration) but obviously wired/suit based as opposed to freestanding. They did it in quite an intelligent manner too, keeping it under the table until it was ready to be displayed. Really looking forward to see their first public demonstration if it comes out at PAX or such. Maybe not this year but next perhaps.

Also quite curious as to how much they plan on selling those devices to, if and when they let them go to the domestic market. I doubt they would be able to let a unit go for any less than about 15 - 20 grand, given that the time required and attention to detail from what I've seen of it is truly staggering, especially when the team is only 15 - 20 men strong.

As for me my boat hasn't moved, just slowly worsened. I have hardware semi-lined up but am having to focus on income as opposed to work on the project. There's a number of things that should get this afloat within the next 3 - 6 months. If I haven't made even the slightest bit of progress by the end of 2017 (which is unlikely, to be honest) I may drop it entirely. There are many people such as myself diligently working on this, and they don't have half the speedbumps I do from a life perspective.

That said, certainly not giving up now. Just waiting and working, as always.

Edited by JimSolo

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember a contact telling me he'd heard something like AxonVR was in the works by an American company though he didn't have a name at the time (this was around January time), good to see they've made headway with it. They're using much a similar control setup I plan on using (with the UE4 integration) but obviously wired/suit based as opposed to freestanding. They did it in quite an intelligent manner too, keeping it under the table until it was ready to be displayed. Really looking forward to see their first public demonstration if it comes out at PAX or such. Maybe not this year but next perhaps.

Also quite curious as to how much they plan on selling those devices to, if and when they let them go to the domestic market. I doubt they would be able to let a unit go for any less than about 15 - 20 grand, given that the time required and attention to detail from what I've seen of it is truly staggering, especially when the team is only 15 - 20 men strong.

As for me my boat hasn't moved, just slowly worsened. I have hardware semi-lined up but am having to focus on income as opposed to work on the project. There's a number of things that should get this afloat within the next 3 - 6 months. If I haven't made even the slightest bit of progress by the end of 2017 (which is unlikely, to be honest) I may drop it entirely. There are many people such as myself diligently working on this, and they don't have half the speedbumps I do from a life perspective.

That said, certainly not giving up now. Just waiting and working, as always.

Don't want to discourage you but if that was the type you beginning with then it is already out of picture for patients.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...