Science Forums

The Problem Of Right And Wrong

motherengine

are you not making value judgements about everything you mentioned? wouldn't you be weighing one thing against another in order to understand and draw some sort of conclusion about your feeling or sense? weighing things is exercising judgement. that is justice.

What value judgment am I making? Quote me.

I agree that Freud's ideas are unprovable, and at times questionable and flawed. However, something which cannot be proven cannot also be proven, and I was rather using Freud's ideas to provide a point of view from from a certain school of thought. (And yes, I do like the idea of id, ego and superego as well. Perhaps we may find a way to discuss it later.

Anytime.

I would like to disagree with your perception of superego however, in that you can count it as a domestication, and therefore not a part of individual thought. I rather see it as the shaping of human thought, through networks of ideas and thoughts which has been introduced to one's mind, and therefore, a part of individual thought. I believe that this 'domestication' is what ones mind perceives as what is acceptable to society, and therefore forms a large part of the decision making progress and human psyche, and therefore individual thought. Feel free to discuss this further, as your ideas are interesting and perceptive. After all, it is philosophy. These ideas are meant to be discussed.

I tend to follow the theory of operant conditioning. I am philosophically determinism-oriented and I think that domestication works on the reinforcement of fear of repercussions and hope of reward. Your point concerning domestication and Freud's "super-ego" certainly makes sense to me. I would consider it to be the part of human thought processes which is conditioned to, and inevitably accepts, ideals of 'correct' and 'incorrect' behavior in proportion to the expectations of others and the subsequent repercussions to the self.

P.S.

Could you explain your profile picture? Been wondering about it for some time.

Its a picture of me taken by friends about fifteen years ago. I think that one of two women put flowers on my eyes and one in my mouth and used my camera to make the image. It was taken in my 'best' friends van outside of a building used for NA meetings. Strange times.

Edited by motherengine

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

It seems to me that this is one of the most reasonable laws in the United States. I believe that such laws should be introduced throughout the country and they also prohibit drugs, because so many people drive while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs. My friend recently hit a man because he was very drunk. Most of these cases happen because cops test people with outdated alcohol samples. Instead, it would be wiser to use. Thanks to the special composition, such tests allow you to quickly and accurately determine whether there is alcohol or drugs in a person’s urine. I hope that such laws will be distributed.

Edited by GAHD
one warning, one chance

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the idea, that right and wrong are much too extreme words for talking about crime or legal theory, or even ethics, and cultural morals, folk psychology, etc. I would probably also point out, it seems you might be orienting toward the simple idea of when you are in a test, and you get an answer right or wrong. Right and wrong here are blunt statements, so the officer is sort of skewing his authority over the guy saying that he did a wrong thing, i.e, he committed a crime, which was wrong, instead of following the law, which would be right.