Science Forums

Negative Effects That Having Fulldive Technology Would Bring

I have not read through the other thread, so if I'm repeating points I apologize. When I imagine VR I envision( huge black goggles with finger wires hanging off of both hands, but the future of VR will much more streamlined. By coincidence when my monthly Scientific American magazine came the other day there was a article called "the search for a new machine"(yes I still like to read some things on paper) it describes what companies like Intel, IBM, and HP, are working on. HP is working on "the machine" with random access memory RAM using memsristors instead of transistors. This could make the computer CPU  act like Neurons. The size of these transistors and memristors is incredibly small. So future VR will more than likely come in the form of a very tiny chip or pill you could swallow.

But I agree you would need something to tell you your not living in a dream, within a dream, within a dream, within a dream of VR. If that happens the programmers would hold sway over many people at a time and have the power to change our society. 

The only way to prevent the engineers and programmers from adding their own control mechanisms into the base rig design would be to require them to submit detailed updates, blueprints and code logs to their companies for review. In addition to that, the tests and experiment objectives and results would have to fall within the parameters outlined in their reports. If anything is mismatched, the person (or people) contributing to that particular discrepency would be held accountable and dealt with accordingly. Also have people outside the development of the rig that check for loopholes and backdoors that can be exploited. Very strict checks and standards would have to be in place not only for the technology itself, but for those involved in its production. Greed and personal gain are the bain of any good idea, so we would have to make sure to nip that threat in the bud.

CaelesMessorem sounds like you are talking about a sort of "open source" software development (haha finally got my links working more tiderly). I have always liked using software that utilizes such openness toward sharing what it is really doing in the background (for example I am using Mozilla Firefox to type here).

I did remember the posts in the other topic, but I thought that even if game developers, or most VR creators push away from creating devices that can "re-code" your brain, would we still (after making the VR's) have the technology to do so? I can just see it becoming a potential weapon if used in that way (i.e. if the Army or Navy were to use that method to teach their soldiers how to do everything they need to survive/kill). I noticed that I keep bringing up "recoding" "hacking" and "brainwashing" a lot. And I think you have pretty much answered anything I could ask, in your other posts. So I probably won't bring up this topic again, unless we get new information on the subject.

Thinking about soldiers however did make me wonder if VR could be utilized to tortue people? Imagine being forced to live in a nightmarish world, with your only escape being to "confess" to your crimes.

Thankyou for the link to the PTSD converation you had on the original forum.

Tried to find the "Machine" you were mentioning Deepwater6, and found this link here, which didn't really explain to much about what exactly they are doing, just that they are making computers better, which to me sounds like what all manufactures are already doing.

Also, the "memsristors" sound like just a new name that HP has put onto their product, so that when it does come out it will sell better. I could be really wrong though, and they just don't want to share, because if more detailed information of it were leaked, other companies may also begin manufacturing such pieces too. Maybe you know a bit more about what they do? Or is it just the fact that they are quite small? Which would still be a huge benifet compared to todays transistors, but I think maybe if we want something really world changing, we need a new idea, instead of just a smaller version of what we already have.

Yes there was a couple of posts discussing the ability to take a pill that linked up the pathways through your brain with a nano thin wire or something, but unfortunately I cannot seem to find it.

Excogitator: Right right. Or even secretly have someone monitoring the code input while it's being coded. It sounds like something of a paranoid tactic, but honestly when it comes to something like this I wouldn't provide any chances for sabotage. It's just too enticing for people to try and play God, especially if they're the ones doing all the work on the device. And techincally we would have the tech to do so, it just targets the wrong parts of the brain to be able to do so. Likely people will try to tinker around with it to adjust it for that purpose. Which I would make it to where unless a specific way of opening the device up is followed, it will no longer work. Or something to that affect.

Unfortunately if a person was somehow able to be isolated from the rest of the net, or loaded/ teleported to a place where escape isn't possible or controllable by them, they could technically be tortured. But the person or people doing it would need admin capabilities to restrict certain functions of users, access to the coding in order to rewrite/ redirect to certain destinations, and as much understanding of everything that we are researching for this device as those who are doing the research. It would be more emotional torture than anything else, but likely to be a problem nonetheless.

And of course. Don't mention it :)