Science Forums

Energy and matter

Tim_Lou

i read an article about quarks.

it says that quarks have color charges. when they are further apart, the color charges are stronger.

when two quarks are being pulled apart, the color charges become stronger and stronger and two new quarks will form from the energy.

also, in some sort of particles decay, matters can change into energy.

i wanna ask whats the relationship between matters and energy? how can they convert to each other??

what is mass actually?? a from of energy?? or what??

All we know in physics is that energy can be converted into mass and mass into energy, but we don´t know exactly what´s happening.

There is a mechanism for the appearance of mass, named the Higgs mechanism, but I don´t know if it solves the problem in all situations, because the Higgs mechanism gives mass to particles due to a symmetry breaking, but there are situations where bounded states of particles have more mass than each particle separately. This is a situation where you can say that the energy is converted in mass, but how exactly we don´t even know how to formulate the question.

Conversely, we can transform mass in energy as we do in atomic bombs. There is the possibility that two charged particles can aniquilate each other, for example, a positron can aniquilate an electron and produce photons, that are energy. We can say that this is an explanation: aniquilation by hitting, but depends if you get satisfied by it.