Science Forums

Did God Time Travel?

amt7565

The simplest way to answer you're question which does belong more in the philosophy section than here is that for those who do not believe in God someone who does not exist could not have time traveled. For those who are believers since God by definition created time he or she would have no reason to travel time since he or she already knows everything and is eternal by definition to begin with. In the end the question was rather a bad one and poorly placed as far as catagories go. And to set the record straight I'm agnostic, not an athiest.

Very intelligent answer paultrr, this might be the right time to consider moving this thread??

Guest kyle8921

I, for one, like to think of God as this.

Ok, I'm assuming you all know what the game, "The Sims" is. Anyway, you get to make people and their lives, and there are buttons that allow you to control time. You could go back a few days and change things around, and the people in the game would never know. Now, you can set the time to any time you like, without time going back on you too, because you aren't part of the game, and definitely aren't restricted to the laws of the game.

Honestly, this is almost how I view God. He doesn't "need" to time travel, because he controls time.

And, think about the Bibilical stories Sodom and Gomorrah (sp?) Fire is described as raining from the sky on these cities and destroying them. Archaelogical evidence (on ruins and cities thought to be these two) have shown minerals from meteors and small asteroids in the ruins. Maybe, God didn't "go" back time, but set the meteor in a certain place and time as to hit exactly when He wanted to, just as could be done in a game of "The Sims." I'm a little rusty on this information, but I remember most of it...

• 2 months later...

Consider for a moment, that God is not an omnipotent almost supernatural being, but simply a time traveler possessing significantly more advanced technology than we currently possess, let alone what was available 7000 years ago. Consider also that he was not the only traveler to come here possessing such technology. Furthermore, he and those others that were here during that time had compatible biology and DNA if you accept the stories related in the Old Testament regarding God advising his Angels not to continue having relations with the women of the time lest the people become like them. This suggests that they were compatible enough to reproduce. It therefore suggests God may have come from our own future. Or, alternately, may somehow have 'seeded' homo-sapien.

I don't offer this suggestion to be antagonistic, agnostic or atheist. Nor to present a challenge to anyones beliefs. But simply to offer a logical possibility that reasonably explains the events documented in most religious writings.

I find it easier to accept that GOD made this Universe than to think it was some event or accident. I am sure many of you will disagree. But for the sake of a theoratical discussion, let's assume that God did make the Universe 15 billion years ago-

if god was an intelligence that cause a [series of] supermassive star [blackhole] to explode is such a way that we now perceive our local universe to have possibly only to have formed 15 billenia ago, sure. i think i could believe that, the universe is infinite and it might be possible for a species to within its limited life span (measured generally in minutes after harnessing the power of the atom, we seem to be an exception possibly due to our exceptional moral superiority...), but how i do digress.

Would God have had to wait 15 billion years to witness full Human evolution (it's taken 15 billion years for the first life form to realize that we have a superior)

specious reasoning, there is evedence in abundance to all but factually prove that we are merely the latest intelligent species on earth. i perosnally like the evidence of nuclear explosions that may have wiped out more than a couple civilizations (or at least tossing 'us' back into the stone age on a few occasions.

what if nuclear holocaust acts like errosion? obliterating all evidence of a civilization, effectively wiping them from the face of the earth?

the resulting radiation could also alter the genetic structure of life perhaps on the entire planet (evolution?)

Would he have done some kind of time travel such that, even though it has taken 15 billion years for Humans to fully develop, God, probably would have cut across a black hole or some other form of time travel in only a few moments?

heck i know any god sim i play save for black and white is set to cheetah or fastest virtually the whole time.

god (3 billion years ago)= *yawn, *snore |*THUD*|, hmmm its been three weeks.. good ME! this place is taking forEVER to evolve, turns the UV index up to '11' for a while to speed stuff up.

god (65 million years ago)= sucks teeth, these dinosaurs are a little boring, hmmm these left overs (asteroids) seem to be doing nothing much", and flicks one over at earth, (more evolution...)

god (people are finally emerging from the stone age and after having been fearing him for ages begin to fend for themselves again)= michael is sent to earth to impart some knowledge to earthlings (leaves how to harness the atom for humans) (more evolution)

Then again, gods aren't bound by natural law, so anything should be possible. Omnipotence. So then, the scientifc question was "could god have time traveled without breaking any of the natural laws he had just created?" But if we aren't violating natural laws, why posit a god?

-Will

Isn't natural law really just the defined limits of our current understanding and sight into this universe? There could be a lot outside what we label "natural law." Even Nature to us is only what we can perceive. I don't think we have the facilities to perceive everything there is to perceive.

I find it easier to accept that GOD made this Universe than to think it was some event or accident. I am sure many of you will disagree. But for the sake of a theoratical discussion, let's assume that God did make the Universe 15 billion years ago-

Would God have had to wait 15 billion years to witness full Human evolution (it's taken 15 billion years for the first life form to realize that we have a superior)

OR

Would he have done some kind of time travel such that, even though it has taken 15 billion years for Humans to fully develop, God, probably would have cut across a black hole or some other form of time travel in only a few moments?

AMT-

If you are a beleiver then |God is suppossed to be all powerful and all knowing, so what would be the point of time travel, since he should know what happens.

The all powerful bit raises the problem of how come he never wins the lottery?

• 2 months later...

ORAMT-

I don't think that God had to time travel. it is said in the bible, that time is only misheard by man. so than he didn't need to travel sine time dose not exist.