Science Forums

Introducing Me.

PersonalPronoun

Hi all. I'm new here.

I'm not educated beyond high school, except for my own reading.

My favorite physicist is John Wheeler.

I find Q.M. To be very fascinating, and quite inspiring.

My favorite interpretation is the M.W.I.

I read many articles about science in my news magazine.

It was a recent article about superposition, that I read last night, that prompted me to look for a science forum.

It seems to me that superposition is Unfalsifiable, and I have a question in relation to that, and shrodinger's cat. I'll post it in the appropriate sub forum.

Well, that's my introduction. I look forward to enjoying science with you.

Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.  I, too, am far less educated than I like to admit.  Luckily, for the both of us, there are people here that are both willing to share their formal education and able to provide support for their positions other than mere appeals to authority.

I'm curious, since you've said your favorite physicist is Wheeler, what your opinion is on Wheeler's "it for bit" hypothesis.  To me, it seems that the conclusion is decidely deterministic, which doesn't sit right to me in a realm where quantum mechanics is a reality.  But I readily admit that I may be missing the point.

Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.  I, too, am far less educated than I like to admit.  Luckily, for the both of us, there are people here that are both willing to share their formal education and able to provide support for their positions other than mere appeals to authority.

I'm curious, since you've said your favorite physicist is Wheeler, what your opinion is on Wheeler's "it for bit" hypothesis.  To me, it seems that the conclusion is decidely deterministic, which doesn't sit right to me in a realm where quantum mechanics is a reality.  But I readily admit that I may be missing the point.

First, thanks for your friendly response.

Second, I'm about to give a good example of how uneducated I am in science.

I think you'll find that uncertainty doesn't disprove determinism.

Uncertainty speaks more to the fact that we are unable to understand all the variables of an event by observing it a single time. 

Furthermore, it is my understanding that each event observed is a one-off event. Once the event is completed, we can't go back and observe it again. 

That doesn't disprove determinism, but only our failing to get all of the information.

So, in answer to, "it from bit" I love the idea. 

In my opinion, it explains the mind. 

We are a living, thinking part of the universe, just like our brains are a living, thinking part of our bodies.

The universe is a body. All of the thinking parts of the universe are it's mind.

Anyway, that's the short version. 

Thanks for asking!