Science Forums

Hyperthyroidsm And Gad

Felies007

Hello all!

I am busy with my thesis on the topic 'The relationship between the thyroid and anxiety'.
I have done some research already and its been hypothesized that a hyperthyroid can cause anxiety. In another article it said that Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is the most common consequence of an overactive thyroid. 

I will be getting data from NESDA...a longitudinal cohort-study that has collected baseline measures from 2981 participants with an anxiety/mood disorder. 
The variables that im getting are:
- age, gender, ethnicity
- SES

- life events/trauma/daily hassles
- social support
- personality
- anxiety and dep cognitions
- drugs/alcohol/smoking
- sleep
- blood pressure, thyroid levels, bmi etc.

I have to come up with my research question using one or two of those variables but I am very stuck. I hope you can help me out.

I came up with the following questions -->
- Are there personality traits that differ between people with or without GAD who suffer from hyperthyroidism? (à possible protective factor) (mediate)
- Does the occurrence of stressful life events and/or daily hassles mediate between hyperthyroidism and GAD?

I am stuck because I first thought that there might be some personality factors (NEO-FFI questionnaire) that could protect somebody that suffers from a hyperactive thyroid for developing an anxiety disorder. But then I thought...it does not make any sense because people can also develop anxiety disorders without having a hyperactive thyroid. 
The same applies for the second question. 
I feel like im searching in the wrong direction and my thesis supervisor is away so cant answer my question. 

Does anybody know a better research question using personality/life events or should I use some of the other factors?