Science Forums

Fear Of Stopping Phobia - Known About?

pagetheoracle

It sounds sort of like a "sunk-cost" idea, where you don't want to stop what you're doing because you're already invested in it but instead of wanting to keep going with a bad idea, you want to keep going with a good idea because the "cost" of stopping and restarting is unknown and potentially high.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason you fear failing at it, is because it means something to you. think of how men are scared of trying to start a flirt with a woman, they are afraid the answer is no. think of a how a parent plays with their child, they often don't worry that much because they think it is a silly game.

Now, men fear failure more than women, because of their testes. this hormone thing makes us more sensitive to being the 'alpha male' and then we get stiff and irritable with people that remind us of someone that succeeds at it. like, for example, donald trump hates rosanne because everyone loves her, and this gets to him because he is portrayed as such a mean guy, while she pumps people full of confidence and answers questions. he could say, of course, that it is because they are not listening to him properly, yes?

To get rid of a phobia where you cannot stop, well, maybe you are "far beyond driven?"

When does the fear of making an *** of oneself from spewing unsupported nonsense come in?

ETA: Please note that I did not censor myself, the forum did. I intended to write a*s*s* without the astericks.

I'm ****ed if I know.

Edit: Interesting. I didn't know we did that, so I had to carry out the experiment, standing by to edit if the software didn't.

• 1 month later...

Hello again Brett,

So...men fear failure more than women eh? trying to wrap my mind around that one with or without the testes. What say you of an alpha female? also, do you think the male has cornered the market on testosterone? you might want to do a little reading before you make these odd assertions :yes: