Science Forums

The Vagueness Of Verbal Language Versus Sight

pagetheoracle

Please provide a proper citation for this.

I cannot as these are clippings from newspapers like the Daily Mail or Metro, not science journals (I'm not a scientist but do get an occasional New Scientist, however that is far as my interest goes).

I thought you were in the oil business, not only because of where you live (Aberdeen I seem to remember you saying?) but your interest in earth sciences and the places you've been to, possibly (Russia and The Caucasus oil fields plus America?). 

"Never give up on what you really want to do.  The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts" Albert Einstein

"I don't want to play this game anymore" Bluebottle in the Goons

PS.  Owing to me opening a duff email, I'm not getting any emails at present, so pardon me as a moderator, if I don't reply to notifications, then might reply to hundreds, when the problem is resolved in a few days (hopefully):  Shut out of my own account in other words

Edited by pagetheoracle

Please provide a proper citation for this.

You're a letter of the law man aren't you? A bit of a pedantic, phlegmatic, parochial parody of a man - now that's an insult, as opposed to racist, hypocrite or troll (Turtle attack, not yours).  By the way peripatetic wanderer sounds more like a tourist than an oil worker and another thing is that it is tautologous or is it meant more as a joke - 'a wandering, wanderer?'

You're a letter of the law man aren't you?

It is true that one of the rules (implicit, or explicit, I don't recall which) that you signed up to was that you would provide the necessary support for assertions made. However, that had absolutley nothing to do with my request for a citation. I asked for three reasons:

1. I thought the research sounded interesting.

2. I suspected you may have been cherry picking observations in the research to support your speculations.

3. Glasgow University is my alma mater.

And I would have looked out the research myself, but Professor Thut provides links to ninety three (IIRCC) of his publications on his home page. I don't intend to wade through all those.

A bit of a pedantic, phlegmatic, parochial parody of a man - now that's an insult

No. It may have been intended as an insult and I suppose if I valued your opinion I might be offended, but your knife is blunt.

as opposed to racist, hypocrite or troll (Turtle attack, not yours).

In the hope that my words will eventually penetrate your consciousness: I suggested your posts gave the appearance of racism, hypocrisy and trolling. I did not phrase it that way to avoid accusations that I had called you a racist, hypocrite, or troll, but because I genuinely do not know if you are or not. What I do know is that certain of your posts create that impression.

By the way peripatetic wanderer sounds more like a tourist than an oil worker and another thing is that it is tautologous or is it meant more as a joke - 'a wandering, wanderer?'

This is an excellent example of another observation I have made of your style: you have problems with reading comprehension. My home page does not describe me as a peripatetic wanderer, which would indeed be a tautology, but as a peripatetic pedagogue. i.e. a travelling teacher, a wandering wisdom-dispenser, or any other alliterative pairing combining travel with education. Fifty five countries and counting, including living and working in six of the world's capital cities.

"Never give up on what you really want to do.  The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts" Albert Einstein

If he had read your posts, I am confident he would have reconsidered his opinion.

• 1 year later...