Science Forums

Jellyfish Stings

PiSquare

I just read an interesting newsflash. A total of 406 jellyfish stings were reported by the Volutia Country's Safety Ocean Rescue. These stings happened on Saturday and Sunday off New Smyrna Beach in Florida. I wanted to know why so many jellyfish were gathered in a group and found an article in which was mentioned that scientists believe the increase in jellyfish numbers may be attributed to additional nutrients in the water, climate change or even fishing along the coastlines. Some researchers are concerned that the increased numbers of jellyfish could compete for food resources with fish and other marine animals, and eventually bump out native local species.

Dramatic population increases are called blooms

Nice post, and yes I think jellyfish bloom over population is becoming a new problem in todays Oceans.

Jellyfish are practically worthless compared to Salmon or Tuna or Mackerel.

As other species diminish, Jellyfish expand.. It should be taken into consdieration..

Nations should agressively Net Jellyfish for its whatever oceanic properties, if only to stem its incursion..  

Apparently jellyfish salad is also a Chinese wedding banquet favourite. About twelve jellyfish varieties with firm bells are considered edible. The tentacles are stripped, mucous membranes are scraped, and then the jellyfish are soaked in brine for a few days where after it is dried. 

One adventurous eater described a cold shredded jellyfish appetizer as "wetly crunchy, in the way of those seaweed salads you find at sushi restaurants", and "it had more texture than the word 'jelly' evokes, yet, I wouldn't call it chewy".

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/04/health/this-crabs-blood-could-save-your-life/index.html?iref=allsearch

I live in PA, but only a few hours drive from the Jersey coast. I've been vacationing and running down on long weekends whenever possible for 40 yrs. I enjoy fishing for Bluefish, Weakfish, and Flounder. I often either fish off the jetty's or board an open party boat that takes about 30-40 people out for a day of fishing.

Getting out to the fishing spot by boat can take an hour or more. This is the same case on the return. So in that time I have spent hours talking to some of the old tars who become mates on boats like this to keep busy after retirement.

Now, none of their info is backed up scientifically, but I've learned to heed their advice while on the boat. Such as " The fish won't start biting until the tide turns around", or at what bait works at certain times a year, etc. Going out everyday they see patterns that weekender's like me don't see.

We would see huge plumes of Jellyfish every now and again. When I asked the mates why they were so thick I was told it only happens in very warm summers and when the water up closer to shore gest warmer than usual. They were everywhere, back on the beach with the kids you could scores washed up by the retreating tide. They were so plentiful you could see them in the crests of waves as they came ashore.

During these water warming spells I also noticed increased numbers of Horseshoe crabs. one summer had so many it looked as if you could walk on them from one side to the other of a small inlet. Children on the beach gather around when they see one on the beach. They find them fascinating and so do I. I always new that these guys were ancient and supposedly washing ashore since T-Rex walked around here, but I had no idea the medical importance of them until I read this article.

Please keep in mind that these observations are just that. I'm not trying to say that warm water close to shore creates these gatherings. I have nothing scientific to prove these observations its just something I've noticed.