Science Forums

Low T (low Testosterone)

arissa

is anyone aware of any news in this area? I was reading that usually when a man has this issue it ends up being a lifelong battle dealing with either treatments similar to the patch, injections or even pills. Are there any ways to treat this in a natural way rather than pharmaceutical?

is anyone aware of any news in this area?

The only recent testosterone-related news I can recall involves a recent anthropology journal publication by Duke University’s Brian Hare, in which he and his team examined many human skulls (13 older than 80000 years, 41 from 38000 to 10000 years old, and 1367 less than 120 years old), concluding from the trend in shrinking brow ridges and upper faces that testosterone levels have decreased over that last 100000 years, and that it did so dramatically about 50000 years ago, coinciding with the dramatic increase in tool use and population density around that time. This suggests that a decrease in testosterone was one of, or perhaps the, major factor that caused us H.sapiens to become so different than other primates. (one of many sources: Society Bloomed With Gentler Personalities and More Feminine Faces, 1 Aug 2014 Duke Today)

Interesting stuff, but not, I think, much related to what you recall reading, arissa.

I was reading that usually when a man has this issue it ends up being a lifelong battle dealing with either treatments similar to the patch, injections or even pills.

Low testosterone in adult men (below the normal range of 300 to 1000 nanograms/deciliter in blood) isn’t a good thing – it can contributes to loss of muscle, increased fat, reduced cognitive ability, shortened lifespan, and, most well know, a decrease in sexual appetite and performance – but a gradual reduction in testosterone is a normal part of aging.

I worry that advertising testosterone replacement and other testosterone level increasing drugs directly to the public is causing many men to be inappropriately treated. Unless a man is having deleterious symptoms correlated to low T, and tests confirm it, I don’t think these drug therapies should be used. However, as all men experience these symptoms in mild to moderate levels, watching and reading “Low T” drug adds may cause them to believe their symptoms to be more sever, and abnormal, or even to imagine symptoms altogether. A good rule, I think, when watching or reading ads telling you you could have a problem, is to carefully consider whether you would think you have that problem if you hadn’t seen the ad.

In any case, having low T isn’t, I think, a battle, any more than life is a battle against aging and death. Low T is not a deadly disease like cancer or Ebola. If untreated, it will shorten your life only slightly, if at all, and reduce its quality not much more than many other effects of aging.

Are there any ways to treat this in a natural way rather than pharmaceutical?

Though health stores and the internet are full of claims of natural cures for low T, I don’t think there’s much scientific support for them. There may be some “dietary supplements” which are actually unregulated drugs, but I’d prefer drugs regulated and prescribed by a physician over them.

However, men suffering from the symptoms of low T shouldn’t really care about their testosterone levels, but rather, about relieving these symptoms, and this can be done by such things as improving exercise, diet, sleep, and other lifestyle features. For example, Low T can reduces muscle strength and grow belly fat, but exercise and diet can reverse these symptoms.

Speaking speculatively (I’m a 54 year old man, and fortunately, don’t have any obvious low T symptoms) I’d only take a drug for low T if exercise, diet, sleep, etc. didn’t fix my ills sufficiently.

• 5 months later...

To answer your question, Yes there are natural "testosterone increasers". Some of the Naturopathic herbs have been highly studied and are easy to find with a quick Google search. Keep in mind that before taking any natural supplement, be careful, many of the so called "natural test boosters" are a bunch of bull and supported by pseudoscience. While not being natural you may want to look into Prohormones. Prohormones are basically legal steroids and surprisingly many of them are extremely safe to take. You can order them online, but be sure to study the research extensively.

Edited by 9Conflicted9

9Conflicted9- What is it, In your opinion, that separates a "Naturopathic herb" that has been shown to be effective from evidenced-based medicine?  Also, one can find any number of utter bullcrap claims with a quick Google search.  What specific "Naturopathic herb" are you recommending, and what evidence do you have to support your recommendation?

Edited by JMJones0424

• 2 weeks later...

9Conflicted9- What is it, In your opinion, that separates a "Naturopathic herb" that has been shown to be effective from evidenced-based medicine?

Once it's been shown to be effective it's medicine. Before it's been shown to be effective or after it's been shown to be ineffective it's not. The real issue is that today's "herbal supplements" are about as regulated as snake oil was in the 1800's. Even if the advertised herb had some level of efficacy there's no way to know that what's in the pills you're taking is what's listed on the front.

Reduced male testosterone sucks... And it happens gradually as you get older..

You can increase you own T levels naturally by Intense Exercise and Lower BodyFat.

I'm divided on the treatment therapy as once you sign on it becomes a crutch for the rest of your life.

In 10 years we should see awesome opportunities,, Its a great time for medical miracles

I'm divided on the treatment therapy as once you sign on it becomes a crutch for the rest of your life.

I know what you mean, but if it can help people feel better and there aren't negative side effects, is there really harm in treating reduced testosterone as a chronic health problem associated with aging?

• 10 months later...

I used to use the Androderm patch, but had a problem during the warmer months with sweat building up under impermeable surface of the patch.  I switched to the Androgel pump 1% and everything was fine until my Endocrinologist changed me to the 1.62% gel.  My testosterone went from about 400 nanograms per deciliter which is more or less in the normal range, to 1400 nanograms per deciliter, which waaayyy over.  I haven't used it in over 6 months and my endogenous testosterone level is running in the normal range without supplementing with exogenous testosterone after dropping about 20 pounds and getting my blood sugar back in line.  We will see during the next full blood work-up how this old man is doing.