Science Forums

How Long Until We Could Make A Real Sword Art Online (sao) Nerve Gear Type Device

jacob2mitts

The thing about the design is that until we have an idea of the technology required to make this device function, and that technology's scale, it's not yet possible for anyone to nail down a solid rig concept. After all, without pieces, a puzzle can't be put together. :)

That's true. I guess when we figure out the tech first I guess. Then here's the thing:

What kind of problems do we have?

What answers to those problems do we have?

And what problems still need to be addressed?

Can anyone help with that?

Well, its been awhile since I posted.

I've gone over everything since the beginning and everything since I was last on and it seems to boil down to this:

There are 3 steps needed to be performed to allow this to work.

1.Intercept the Electrical Impulses sent to the various limbs, muscles, from your skin, the sound-waves from your ears, and the light information from your eyes.

2. Interpretation of the electrical impulses into binary or similar to manipulate your character in the game.

3. Reversing the binary commands from your character's actions back into electrical impulses that can then be sent toward the brain through the nervous system.

We should just forget both taste and smell for now, its not really needed for a first generation VR System

The sticking point I keep seeing isn't the Brain but the Nervous System, we need a method of intercepting and recreating the nerve impulses, everything else is peanuts in comparison.There really is no need to involve the brain, all it needs to do is output and interpret the nerve impulses.

Edited by blariviere

Well, its been awhile since I posted.

I've gone over everything since the beginning and everything since I was last on and it seems to boil down to this:

There are 3 steps needed to be performed to allow this to work.

1.Intercept the Electrical Impulses sent to the various limbs, muscles, from your skin, the sound-waves from your ears, and the light information from your eyes.

2. Interpretation of the electrical impulses into binary or similar to manipulate your character in the game.

3. Reversing the binary commands from your character's actions back into electrical impulses that can then be sent toward the brain through the nervous system.

We should just forget both taste and smell for now, its not really needed for a first generation VR System

The sticking point I keep seeing isn't the Brain but the Nervous System, we need a method of intercepting and recreating the nerve impulses, everything else is peanuts in comparison.There really is no need to involve the brain, all it needs to do is output and interpret the nerve impulses.

The use of just the nervous system is what seems to be the best method. The only problem is the fact that some nerves that would be required are buried into the head and I don't know how we would stimulate those nerves in a  noninvasive manner. As for reading the data, that will be a lot easier. Converting it to binary or some type of animation data, that will still be a lot harder. I also agree on the idea of not incorporating taste and smell yet. But what about the blocking of the nerve impulses to prevent movement(avoiding necessary nerves needed for survival, like the vagus nerve). Can anyone look into that? And what about how motion capturing works? Could we potentially incorporate that method somehow.

I had seen that thread but it had kinda died the last time i looked at it. But as it turns out while me and RisingDev have been going back and forth, the same has been going on in the 17Robots' thread.

It was more of an attempt to refocus this thread, as the amount of directions it has gone is out of control :D

Also, how many of the current participants have business knowledge? With something of this magnitude there are more than a few factors for consideration.

No need to worry. The focus is more for your guys' sake so that you can understand each others ideas more easily and maintain a clear purpose in the conversation. Also, if it gets too crazy, I'm sure CraigD will make a new topic. heheh

Awesome! Just wanted to point out that there's quite a bit of research to be done before you decide on a non-profit business build. Things like: what is the main focus of the company; how would a non-profit setup compare to any of the other business types ( LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership, etc.) in terms of furthering your focus; how does funding distribution change with each type of business model and how would that affect your short and long-term business goals, to name a few. Just some things to consider before continuing!

Hi there, i'm from Portugal and i'm 20 years old. I literally spent roughly a week and a half reading all posts of this topic (so i know a few posts were moved to other sub-topics ^^).

it seems there's a lot of enthusiasm here but we need to be serious and be realistic on how the tech will work.

I'm studying electrical engineering so i know a little bit of electromagnetic fields. i would like to explain why we have so much trouble reading brain waves (i'm no expert nor am i a neurologist so if i'm incorrected, in any part, pls, do correct me ^^"  ):

When a current passes through a neuron , just like in a wire, it creates a magnetic field (it depends on the current, Tension, the tissue consistency ... ), and people use that to "read" brain waves. The problem is that there is some background noisy which is something that simply exists everywhere (electrons movement, radio interferences, basically anything can cause noise) and the current as well as tension in our nerves is just too small, in the order of micro Volts and micro Amp(with a really optimistic approach). it basically turns it very hard to differ which nerve is active and those which aren't. So, very precise instruments are required.

Although what some do is, instead of "reading" individually each nerve, they read some distinct parts of the brain and group them in patterns (it's just the idea).

Example: Using the tech CraigD spoke of, the EPOC-Emotiv, if you want to move a little car from left to right, they say to you, "Think of the car moving from left to right" and register the pattern of your brain waves. Now each time you think of it the car will move from left to right. But instead, before the registration of the pattern if you in something totally different (Ex:drinking water), that's what you'll need to think in for the car to move.

(long text?? Sorry about that hehe )

Solutions :

(non-int) 

well we'll have just to wait for some new techniques more accurated.Sorry did i say wait? I meant CREATE. So guys that's where you need to focus. But do some actual research about Original and Outside-the-Box methods.

(int/non-int): Don't Be Lazy and read the posts of CraigD and Shodan as well as of any others who spoke of nano wires (srr for not remember the names --_--").

I think it could actually become an alternative if we can't find any precise non-int solution.

(int):it needs to be the last resource to medicine, and it's out-of question for gaming (risk is way to high just for fun).It basically says  everything (what will vary is the method to attach the nerves in question to some kind of device).

Ideas(will write on other post, this one is becoming too big (o)__(o))

Ideas:

Well i don't really have any ideas to the methods of reading brain waves accurately but i was thinking on the processing of those same brain signals.

We know how binary code works right, well i would like some one explain me how the brain "code" works . for exemple our eyes.... Let's slow the process a lot and think what happens when our eyes see an image. What happens in the nerves?? They send a signal ?? more signals?? what kind of signal? Those are just a few questions i need to know in order to solve my problem.

All this come to me when i saw one video about holo glass... They actually created a new type of processor for the glasses (HPU-Holographic processor Unit) and i was wandering if we would need some new design of processor For our NG.

Coment about this and be sure to Think in useful things.If You think it would be used in NG, do Not hesitate!!!

Cheers

Edited by narutodredes

Whoa.. so many teams are already been formed. I think it's already about that time huh..

I just want to say that you people are amazing on taking another initiative in creating this a reality.

hmm.. an oxymoron huh.. "Virtual yet Real" :) Anyway since teams are already been formed. I know that we can't agree on one thing and another. Like becoming a member of our team or the latter. But you know guys, there's one thing we have in common. That is we have the same goal. We may run on different tracks but our goal is one and the same. So what I mean is since I'm already in a group/team also working on this project, also born on this same ol' forum. I'd like to propose a "Collaborative venture" with other groups some day. Oh I think it'd be better if by the year end.. or so. :) Since we're one and another.. Competition is inevitable but that just what makes it better because every group will stride harder. We may have competition but we're not Kayaba Akihiko who can work his as s off alone. So I think it's better that we have a collaborative venture once we have already settled the formation of groups, establishing rights, and organizing project. Then maybe,... maybe we could start thinking about collaboration.

Oh man.. 'bout time since I posted like this. :) Anyway Good luck to the people out their who's trying to drag this technology into realization! Looking forward to working with you soon! :)

John

DigiAxon R&D

Thanks for the link simroh1. You said it all.

My objective is to improve the brain reading  and how that works, because that's needed in order to progress.

Btw i didn't mention but the main reason why i'm starting from this point, is because it's our best chance of achieving something in the present (best doesn't mean only ^^"). I mean we can already read the brain... just need to improve it. Writing in and keeping the body still while moving in the game, seem to be yet very distant (i have a few ideas for this but it's not applicable to brain). 

One is:

when you have 2 wires both with the same current and then put a resistance in one part, all the current follows the wire with no resistance so it means that the one with resistance has NO current, no tension. this is called short circuit.when you have 2 resistances, most current follows the path of minor Resistance; When you have 1 resistance and another with no resistance, it follow ALL for the no-Resistance.

Using nanoneurons to physically intercept the neuron could be the solution. It's not applicable because there're way too many neurons to intercept (even though not doing to all cause we're focusing on the senses).

Anyway, i hope my idea sparked some ideas on you and, well, keep posting improvements.

Whoa.. so many teams are already been formed. I think it's already about that time huh..

I just want to say that you people are amazing on taking another initiative in creating this a reality.

hmm.. an oxymoron huh.. "Virtual yet Real" :) Anyway since teams are already been formed. I know that we can't agree on one thing and another. Like becoming a member of our team or the latter. But you know guys, there's one thing we have in common. That is we have the same goal. We may run on different tracks but our goal is one and the same. So what I mean is since I'm already in a group/team also working on this project, also born on this same ol' forum. I'd like to propose a "Collaborative venture" with other groups some day. Oh I think it'd be better if by the year end.. or so. :) Since we're one and another.. Competition is inevitable but that just what makes it better because every group will stride harder. We may have competition but we're not Kayaba Akihiko who can work his as s off alone. So I think it's better that we have a collaborative venture once we have already settled the formation of groups, establishing rights, and organizing project. Then maybe,... maybe we could start thinking about collaboration.

Oh man.. 'bout time since I posted like this. :) Anyway Good luck to the people out their who's trying to drag this technology into realization! Looking forward to working with you soon! :)

John

DigiAxon R&D

Mm, let's hope at least some of them make it xD I'm not a fan of this competition sorta thing though. I do hope it can all be coaborated in the end. Though unfortunatly societys limited ability to comprehend that some things work as a hive mind might play havok.

P.S: http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/28413-jimsolos-dive-tech-development-thread/?p=336619

Edited by JimSolo

Guys sorry for the delay but i think that the prototype blueprints will be ready in 2-3 months or so, please understand that im still in university and im not a scientist and doing this kind of reaserch takes time and hard work and this proces takes longer because right now im solo. Currently im only working or a brain reader device that will translate all our movements in real world in inputs for the computer and the next step is to stop our body temporarely. I am looking forward on having a partner with who i can share the workload and speed up the process.

BTW having multiple teams working on multiple parts of this project is the best plan so far so lets create a separate website just for this purpose where the work can be done faster and more efficiently.

I am really looking forward to one day meet you guys out there and share info with you so we can do this.

I BELIVE . I REALLY BELIVE .

Good luck everyone thats working on this project.

Guys sorry for the delay but i think that the prototype blueprints will be ready in 2-3 months or so, please understand that im still in university and im not a scientist and doing this kind of reaserch takes time and hard work and this proces takes longer because right now im solo. Currently im only working or a brain reader device that will translate all our movements in real world in inputs for the computer and the next step is to stop our body temporarely. I am looking forward on having a partner with who i can share the workload and speed up the process.

BTW having multiple teams working on multiple parts of this project is the best plan so far so lets create a separate website just for this purpose where the work can be done faster and more efficiently.

I am really looking forward to one day meet you guys out there and share info with you so we can do this.

I BELIVE . I REALLY BELIVE .

Good luck everyone thats working on this project.

Hey @KrisBi. I am 17robots. I am forming a team to work on the project. I like everyones idea of working together. And right now, I feel like im gonna need all of the help I can get and eould love to have you on board. What are you going to university for?

And @JimSolo, I really am excited to be working on this project and, once you get your company going and I get.mine, maybe we could work together. Or, because we are technically in competition with each other for people to work with us, you could work with us from the start. And I understand if you dont necessarily want to be a part of the company with all of that stuff, we could work some legal agreement. I would be thrilled if you would like to help us though.