Science Forums

Flame War Split From "what Makes A Good Teacher?"

Turtle

What makes a Great Teacher??

It should be noted that Turtle has been a great Teacher to me.. I appreciate every conversation we've had.

As far as making a good Teacher??

You should allow the freedom of knowledge and reality to intermingle and direct it into a positive direction..

I Love Turtle!

Turtle is one of the smartest and greatest people I know! 

:sherlock:  :beer:  :angel2:  :ha:

:reminder:

I'm glad you like him and have found his knowledge useful and informative.  Is he coming back to this subject or do you know if he's abandoned it?  I found the way he attacked this subject stimulating and have become addicted to it in a way, just as all conflict gets you to think and respond in new ways (pity there's no tank icon).  This in itself is a learning curve for me and it's a pity if he's bowed out as last time I took his attacks personally and left hypography for months, if not years, which shows my ego was demolished and that I should have stayed and seen things through (The Monty Python video might make him laugh, even if nothing else I said did and I was not out to be deliberately offensive and believe if we'd both stuck to our guns, the whole thing would have mellowed out eventually:  'Here endeth the first lesson' as they say in UK church services.

I Love Turtle!

Turtle is one of the smartest and greatest people I know!

Me too.

Turtle's wonderful math play was what first drew me to hypography some 9 years ago, and, along with many other wonderful folk, made it my favorite place on the internet.

You see you have not been abandoned by your friends and while you have not bested me in the argument we had here that is no reason to give up hope* (When it comes to math you can beat me hollow as it was my worst subject at school and I was humiliated by my secondary school teacher, who always picked on me because he knew that I never knew what the answer to his question was "Right everybody should we tell "so-and-so" the answer?"  He had a bladder problem and was humiliated himself by another student who discovered this and put a rubber 'bladder' on his chair.  I too got my own back as well on the last day of term as I completed a logic problem (my area of strength as here), which nobody else in the class could).

By the way what I said about disclosing private information still holds here as it is not a subject that now causes me discomfort. Calvin Coolidge said the following, which I'd paraphrase as 'courage is following something through' but I also know from experience that you need to retreat and recover after an attack, so this isn't always applicable or instantly so at every occasion (The second statement applies to me, in the way Thomas Eddison described it as Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

*Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Remember these are all saying the same things - don't give up but do learn from your mistakes as I have been doing for the last 60 miserable years "He who never made a mistake, never made anything" Einstein.

I don't want to beat you into submission, I want to get you to think about what you are saying and provide backing up evidence for your statements.  It doesn't matter if you make mistakes as that is the learning curve.  Every time somebody points out my mistakes, it causes me to revise my beliefs about a subject and CraigD, Sanctus and Tormud amongst others have done that with me here - even Buffy did with my first post on this site, after which I left the first time (The second was after you calling me a 'troll' for what I said about evolutionary theory as it applied to machines.  Remember that? ).  "It's not the winning or the losing but the playing of the game." "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" (Nietzsche).

Edited by pagetheoracle

I put the :ha:  in it because people may not realize, But Turtle is also extremely funny and has a great sense of humor.,

:hammer:

A good teacher needs a good sense of humor. And Despite what Paige thinks, a good Laugh can mean so much more than a solid fact shoved in your face.  :tired:

I put the :ha:  in it because people may not realize, But Turtle is also extremely funny and has a great sense of humor.,

:hammer:

A good teacher needs a good sense of humor. And Despite what Paige thinks, a good Laugh can mean so much more than a solid fact shoved in your face.  :tired:

What was The Monty Python video then? :surprise:

I'm glad Turtle has got a good friend in you and a good sense of humour that you at least appreciate.  Hopefully that sense of fun will bring him back here and if he wants to put me on his ignore list (If he hasn't already) or would prefer it I put him on mine, just let me know.

Edited by pagetheoracle

I saw that when it was first released (His best film)

This has been a Pyrrhic Victory for me as it's not the outcome I wanted (From Greek King Pyrrhus, who suffered irreplaceable casualties in his was with the Romans).  It's like the scene in "Cool Hand Luke," where George Kennedy is forced to knock out Paul Newman because he just won't give in, despite being beaten to a pulp by his opponent, in order to stop the agony.

Edited by pagetheoracle