Science Forums

Flame War Split From "what Makes A Good Teacher?"

Turtle

Moderation note: The first 17 posts of this thread were moved from "http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/27859-what-makes-a-good-teacher" because they wander far off this thread's subject of what makes a good teacher.

A good teacher would never give a passing grade to any student that does not understand 100% of what they were taught....hence, using this criterion, good teachers are rare, if any exist at all.   Or, perhaps some would argue that such a teacher is a bad teacher, I would like to hear the argument.

Nonsense. A passing grade is [almost universally] 70%. You fail. :thumbsdown:

... He does not rush through and skip over material on a once only basis. I'm sure there are ideas I've missed and others I've repeated here but I've tried to get to the essence of the subject but unfortunately am a little tired because of missed sleep over three nights, so this may be the cause. Apologies again.

Besides using sexist language throughout your composition, you contradict your own advice by rushing and skipping material. Presuming you purport to be teaching us, you fail. :turkeytalk:

Besides using sexist language throughout your composition, you contradict your own advice by rushing and skipping material. Presuming you purport to be teaching us, you fail. :turkeytalk:

You are being a bit Harsh, Turtle-San...

PageOracle should definitely learn to Indent Paragraphs..

Plus minus all the Gobbitly-Gook

What do you expect me to do write he/she/it each time?  And what do you teach?  Scepticism (and I will teach it the English way as I'm from the UK) but you you seem to hide behind attacks upon others without ever giving anything of yourself away, like a sniper hiding in the bushes.  If you're talking about American justice that seems to depend upon how much you can pay for glib tongued lawyers, not whether you are innocent or guilty.  How can you excuse when you obviously and simply do not understand and show it by your attitude? You will be heard, then why the icon with headphones on or is that to drown out replies?  Don't retreat, do show facts but do lose the juvenile attitude. I might be a turkey but you're a chicken (blah, blah, blah...).  Thank you for your input Racoon but I can defend myself as well against this fighting cock.

Right, show me where I skipped or rushed material or at least understand that when I said I'd lost sleep that meant I'd lost sleep?  Lack of sleep is a fact.  Along with hunger, thirst, exhaustion, overheating, noise and other distractions it can lead to loss of awareness. 

As for me not making a good teacher, how about you?  From your reaction I'm not even sure you read the points I raised as you've tried to humiliate me and others, which is suppressive in nature, showing fear on your part rather than an adult stance aimed at encouraging exploration and knowledge acquisition.  You teacher? Drastic fail - go to the back of the class and listen this time, not mouth off (How did you get on this site in the first place - you're daddy doesn't own this forum does he?)

Edited by pagetheoracle

You say understanding 70% of potential knowledge taught is good, I say it is bad.    What you have argued is that [almost universally] teachers are bad, not good.  

What you say Turtle isn't fact but knowledge.  By this I mean what is accepted by society not what is actually true in reality.

Add something to the discussion rather than take something from it, through sniping

(In an argument, an egotistical man demolishes his opponent, not his points).

I was going to put you on my ignore list but instead of decided to stay and teach you a 'lessen' as Lewis Carrol put it in 'Alice in Wonderland.' (Just started a thread about what makes an adult in this regard)

Now why don't you do like all good Turtles do and sink to the bottom of the pond and hibernate over 'The winter of your discontent' (Richard the Third, by William Shakespeare, the first). :nahnahbooboo:

"Humour is the very essence of a democratic society" Patrick McGoohan's TV series, "The Prisoner."

Edited by pagetheoracle

You say understanding 70% of potential knowledge taught is good, I say it is bad.    What you have argued is that [almost universally] teachers are bad, not good.

No; you are the one arguing all teachers are bad. If you have such a bright idea, present it to boards of education.

What do you expect me to do write he/she/it each time?

No; write 'they'.

‘He or she’ versus ‘they’

...•You can use the plural pronouns ‘they’, ‘them’, ‘their’ etc., despite the fact that, technically, they are referring back to a singular noun:

If your child is thinking about a gap year, they can get good advice from this website.

A researcher has to be completely objective in their findings.

Some people object to the use of plural pronouns in this type of situation on the grounds that it’s ungrammatical. In fact, the use of plural pronouns to refer back to a singular subject isn’t new: it represents a revival of a practice dating from the 16th century. It’s increasingly common in current English and is now widely accepted both in speech and in writing....

And what do you teach? Scepticism (and I will teach it the English way as I'm from the UK) but you you seem to hide behind attacks upon others without ever giving anything of yourself away, like a sniper hiding in the bushes.

My personal circumstance is none of your goddamn business.

You will be heard, then why the icon with headphones on or is that to drown out replies?

I borrowed the headphone icon from Buffy; it indicates the material preceding is a quote and the expectation is that the reader will look it up to find its source and applicability to the context.

>>Post #41: "Oh *that's* obscure, B!"

The Buffy enjoys obscure pop culture references. When you see a :phones: icon--AKA "Buffy's Asterisk"--next to one of The Buffy's sign-offs, its an indicator that The Buffy did not come up with it but rather that it is a quote from a--usually obscure--source not of The Buffy. The Buffy does not provide a direct reference to it, because half the fun is in finding out where it came from.

Through the miracle of the Internet, Googling the phrase can often conjure the source up, but unfortunately The Buffy is old enough so that some quotes can't be found this way, and you'll have to ask your grandparents where it may have come from...

Right, show me where I skipped or rushed material or at least understand that when I said I'd lost sleep that meant I'd lost sleep?  Lack of sleep is a fact.  Along with hunger, thirst, exhaustion, overheating, noise and other distractions it can lead to loss of awareness.

Stop whining. Everyone has their troubles.

As for me not making a good teacher, how about you?  From your reaction I'm not even sure you read the points I raised as you've tried to humiliate me and others, which is suppressive in nature, showing fear on your part rather than an adult stance aimed at encouraging exploration and knowledge acquisition.  You teacher? Drastic fail - go to the back of the class and listen this time, not mouth off (How did you get on this site in the first place - you're daddy doesn't own this forum does he?)

:nahnahbooboo:

No; write 'they'.

‘He or she’ versus ‘they’

Well I usually do, do that but not every time I write something - you'll have to take it as a given (You see too many enemies or want to). :cussing:

My personal circumstance is none of your goddamn business.

No it's not but you feel confident enough to snipe at mine, from a paranoid viewpoint:  I'm not complaining but explaining - the emotion seems to be in your head (beaten as a child?  Oh you are a child according to your write up aren't you?) :sherlock:

I borrowed the headphone icon from Buffy; it indicates the material preceding is a quote and the expectation is that the reader will look it up to find its source and applicability to the context.

>>Post #41: "Oh *that's* obscure, B!"

Stop whining. Everyone has their troubles.

:nahnahbooboo:

The above at least is explanatory and neutral, which shows an intellect at work - pity the rest indicates a child having a tantrum. :help: 'Not waving but drowning' Stevie Smith, English Poet.

*Icon do icons too!

No; you are the one arguing all teachers are bad. If you have such a bright idea, present it to boards of education.

It's board of education not boards and it is 'to the'  (I won't mention the erroneous use of the semi-colon - a comma would have done).

What school did you go, did you say and what grades did you get but here you are attacking other people's use of facts, grammar and using your 'projections' (psychological term or at least psychiatric) to 'interpret' what you say they meant? Keep taking the pills or at least drowning your sorrows in pils: I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard (William Lloyd Garrison). Sounds like Pit the younger (UK prime minister), who said I will sit down now but I will be heard (meaning the future).

Here's another quote for you "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."  You tell us to get our facts right - well please don't misrepresent us or we will return the compliment

Edited by pagetheoracle

It's board of education not boards and it is 'to the'  (I won't mention the erroneous use of the semi-colon - a comma would have done).

You are incorrect on both counts. There is not just one board of education deciding curriculum, and the semicolon is correct inasmuch as it adds emphasis.

Semicolons help you connect closely related ideas when a style mark stronger than a comma is needed. ...

source

What school did you go, did you say and what grades did you get ...

None of your business.

The title of this thread and the opinions expressed in the OP are so broad and generalized as to be of no practical use or application. Given the source this comes as no surprise. :rolleyes:

... I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard (William Lloyd Garrison). Sounds like Pit the younger (UK prime minister), who said I will sit down now but I will be heard (meaning the future). ...

The quote I gave was in reply to Racoon's suggestion that I was being too harsh with you. Had you read something on the author you would find he was a staunch abolitionist and if you have read much of Racoon's posting you will see he leans to a racist bent. Moreover, Garrison was a staunch supporter of women's suffrage and though invited to a meeting of abolitionists in GB he refused to attend as the group was quite opposed to women's suffrage.

>> William Lloyd Garrison @ Wiki

While you seem not to read references, you clearly don't give them and that is in direct violation of the forum rules.

The quote I gave was in reply to Racoon's suggestion that I was being too harsh with you. Had you read something on the author you would find he was a staunch abolitionist and if you have read much of Racoon's posting you will see he leans to a racist bent. Moreover, Garrison was a staunch supporter of women's suffrage and though invited to a meeting of abolitionists in GB he refused to attend as the group was quite opposed to women's suffrage.

>> William Lloyd Garrison @ Wiki

While you seem not to read references, you clearly don't give them and that is in direct violation of the forum rules.

I refute that on the basis what you say doesn't seem to make sense to me.  I didn't know Racoon was a racist  and I see nothing wrong in Garrison being an abolitionist or for women's suffrage, so I don't see your point here.  If you mean Racoon was being ironic, that is a different kettle of fish.  Obviously I did read the reference or I wouldn't have got back to you about it would I? As for my references - I did give them, so again I say what are you on about and more than anything what has this got to do with the subject in hand?

You are incorrect on both counts. There is not just one board of education deciding curriculum, and the semicolon is correct inasmuch as it adds emphasis.

source

None of your business.

The title of this thread and the opinions expressed in the OP are so broad and generalized as to be of no practical use or application. Given the source this comes as no surprise. :rolleyes:

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me (English playground saying).

There several boards in the UK too but what you are saying is still incorrect English and as for your use of the semi-colon, it depends on what source you use and in your case 'why.' :nahnahbooboo:

Once again you've given just opinion and given the time on this side of the Atlantic I shall just have to wish you goodnight, sleep tight (not a reference to your drinking habits - see the alternative slang meaning in English) :beer-fresh:

There[sic] several boards in the UK too but what you are saying is still incorrect English and as for your use of the semi-colon, it depends on what source you use and in your case 'why.' ...

Perhaps you mean 'there are'. :naughty: No it is not an incorrect use of 'boards' and unlike your baseless criticism I gave a source substantiating my use of a semicolon.

Once again you've given just opinion and given the time on this side of the Atlantic I shall just have to wish you goodnight, sleep tight (not a reference to your drinking habits - see the alternative slang meaning in English) :beer-fresh:

No; I did not simply give opinions. I made statements that I backed up with references. Your posts on the other hand are seldom if ever backed up with references. I again point you to the forum rules.

Science Forums Rules

●Back up your claims by using links or references: that’s where our name Hypography comes from. ...

Our motto is Science for Everyone, not WAG for Anyone.

Perhaps you mean 'there are'. :naughty: No it is not an incorrect use of 'boards' and unlike your baseless criticism I gave a source substantiating my use of a semicolon.

Correct, I did make a mistake.  This was because of speeded up reactions as you got under my skin and angered me, leading to me not checking my work as I went along and not double checking what I had done afterwards.  That is a fact, not an excuse; a reason and not a get out clause.  Recently in another post I quoted something as coming from Julius Caesar that actually came from Macbeth, so I hold my hand up to that as well and as I wasn't angry at you that time it was sloppiness on my part.You did give a source (see below for your limited understanding of what this actually means - well if you are only 14 then this would explain your lack and my knowledge as I have 62 years experience of life and you only have the internet to fall back on for your arguments):  Look up 'arbitrary' as nothing has to be what its 'accepted' form is.  English has become standardized but there are still variations in spelling certain words and ways of using punctuation, so there is no wrong, just accepted ways for clarity sake (Look up Oxford English Dictionaries  or email them / Dr Johnson's dictionary).

No; I did not simply give opinions. I made statements that I backed up with references. Your posts on the other hand are seldom if ever backed up with references. I again point you to the forum rules.

I do give references (look up the actual meaning).  What I don't always give is 'links.' "You can Google can't you?  You just put your fingers on the keyboard and type" (Lauren Bacall paraphrased quote from the film 'To have and have not', with Humphrey Bogart - their first together, if I remember correctly ).

Science Forums Rules

Our motto is Science for Everyone, not WAG for Anyone.

There you go again.  I am not a female.  Page the oracle was a slogan for British Telecom, not my name (Paige is a rare, if used at all christian name in the UK but Page is a fairly common surname, the best known example being Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin).

Are you trying to frighten me into shutting up?  ('Away slight man!'/ 'peevish schoolboy' Julius Caesar, assassination scene, said to one of the conspirators / The 7 ages of man (Shakespeare again)). Not doing a very good job if that is your intention. 'Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!' (Monty Python sketch).  I don't care about being corrected but I do care 'how' - hence this very thread

This isn't an argument:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Bit of advice.  Don't react every time to what you take as a personal comment as this gives the impression that you are sensitive to certain things, which gives other people a psychic wound to 'prod' at (By psychic I mean 'mind' from Greek psyche, not psychic phenomena)

I might still have to put you on my ignore list unless you want this to go on for years (like Michaelangelika's thread on obesity in the Medical forum or The Palestine conflict) or others send me a personal communication as they are enjoying this battle as I want to post elsewhere on this site and this is taking up most of my time.

Edited by pagetheoracle