Science Forums

Chicken And Taste

ErlyRisa

I actually was for a long time, not because I did not like the taste of chicken but because as a child I choked on a chicken bone. I swore it off for almost twenty years and then I learned to love it again. How many ways are you preparing it that you can't love it? To me, any food can be made to love but you need to prep it right from the start.

My mother refused to eat chicken because when she was a kid, she used to see her mother grabbing chickens in the back yard, wringing their necks, and fixing them up for dinner. My mother had to help her mother pluck the feathers off them before they got cooked.

Turned her off chicken majorly...

ONLY? Chicken...I haven't heard of that b/f normally the effected person goes off meat entirely (for some reason fish sometimes doesn't count, and they seem to get coaxed back via processed food)

I had a similar problem with the bones in fish...turned me off fish for a very long time until I was served something more child friendly, but by then it was too late: The taste associated with spiky greasy bones amongst what is a very small amount of edible substance, makes eating fish for me a workout. Strangely though as an adult the bones are not as important: It's just that weird taste that haunts me.

Caned fish, head and all I have overcome and I find to be pretty enjoyable, especially the "in oil" kind.

I don’t know of anyone non-vegetarians who won’t eat chicken, but some people who can comfortably eat other meats can’t eat chicken without getting sick, due to an allergy to it. An internet search for terms such as “chicken allergy” will find forum posts from such folk.

The science of allergies tells us that nearly any animal can be allergic to nearly anything. Allergic responses occur when the large, complicated molecules and cells that organisms use to detect and eliminate dangerous foreign organisms – the immune system – “mistake” safe ones for dangerous. Immune systems can distinguish very finely between different organisms, from viruses to bacteria to animal parasites, so can readily distinguish between different foods, such as fish, cattle, and poultry, so it’s possible to be allergic to chicken, but not to other meats.

This webpage (from a search for “chicken allergy prevalence”), cites many studies of the prevalence of chicken meat allergy, though only one of the general population, a 1999 study of 1336 Japanese children under 6 years old, which found 12.6% with some sort of food allergy, 0.57% with a chicken meat allergy.

It also references this 1992 paper, which finds that of 35 adult men who process meat for a living, 31.4% showed sensitivity to chicken meat (though not necessarily so sever they would have discomfort eating it), and about 20 times the allergic sensitivity in general of the general population. This isn’t surprising – high exposure to potential allergens commonly causes the immune system to develop allergies to those and other allergens.

Ohoh, you opened up my fav subject - immune response. I have a strange feeling (yes, it's not science), that immune response is not separate too "human response", and it's another chicken egg problem.

The theory is testable on animals, but only sort of: Basically b/c we can't do the "human response thing" on an animal too well.

The major problem with some allergies...and the theory goes, is that the human mind may have a part too play.

eg. coughing, as a response too dust...there is actually no real reason humans have to do this, it is an "educated action", much like clothing yourself.

Some adults actually learn to overcome the cough reflex very well, the question is how does the baby learn it.

I have always been fascinated by the fact that people always seem to say that unusual meats "taste like chicken."

Though boys throw stones at frogs in sport, the frogs do not die in sport, but in earnest, :phones:

Buffy

That's funny Buffy, the other day I was eating dinner at my Italian friend's house and she was serving pork chops and rabbit.  I mentioned that I didn't like the taste of rabbit and she said it tastes like chicken.  No it does not, I've tasted it before and it doesn't taste like chicken.

Edited by Noire

I wonder what Sloth meat tastes like.

Anybody/Indian Group who has passed through Evolution has probaly roasted a Sloth or two in their day.

http://mail.colonial.net/~hkaiter/AaaimagesNEW/milodon.jpg

I was a Foreign Exchange Student in Venezuela, and the Sloths looked cute in the Zoo, but they were also Giant Size back in the day! :huh:  

Edited by Racoon