Science Forums

Rhino Horn Point

pagetheoracle

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I'm sure the moderators will move it if it isn't as the question is more about natural history than biology and is also from a psychological perspective.

With regards to Rhino poaching, has anybody attacked the cause rather than the effect? By this I don’t mean the poachers at the supply end but the Chinese practitioners at the demand end? We know that the Rhino horn has no active ingredient but works through the placebo effect. Could TV networks be persuaded to show how this works in a program, to educate even the Chinese that it is ‘belief’ (The placebo effect) that is driving this demand and will lead to the Rhinos extinction or even a podcast? What did they have before and what will they have after, when all the Rhinos have gone? What substance will it replace and will it too work on this principle?

If television doesn’t make a documentary about this viewpoint, perhaps teams can be used to educate the public, from The World-Wide Fund for Nature or some similar organization. The danger is that as something gets rarer, the price automatically rises, speeding up extinction, even though other effects can do this also.