Science Forums

Finding Time To Exercise

Laci

With working and the kids many people find it difficult to exercise. The days are full and by the time evening rolls around you are exhausted. The only time that I find to exercise is during my lunch time at work. It is only thirty minutes long, but I usually take a walk around the parking lot. Of course, I don't really get to eat too much, but I try to munch on a snack bar or have a quick helping of fruit during my break time. Exercise is important, but there are challenges to finding the time to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Anything would be appreciated.

Hey Laci I find myself in the same predicament. I started exercising early mornings before the hustle of the day begins. It's actually helped my energy levels as well. In addition, your not preoccupied with the thought of how your going to get your workout in, it's already done

Yes, jwoods, it does improve your energy level, doesn't it? It is great the way that it does that. Knowing that you don't have to worry about where you will fit it in is an awesome bonus too! Some days I just don't feel like it though, so I just tell myself to get out there and do it anyway. I never regret it afterwards. Do you listen to anything while you are walking? I bring along my ipod, which really motivates me and helps the time pass more quickly.

Even if you have 30 minutes to do something that is always better than doing nothing. If you just sit there you are not really trying to acomplish anything. Early in the morning is a good idea too, I do this depending on what season it is (when the kids are in school it is harder for me since they are car riders). What about working out on the weekends?

Depending on the nature of your work and your workplace, there are a number of very simple exercises that you can perform between tasks throughout the day. Here is a link to a short presentation that may give you some useful ideas.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45efdje/best-exercises-to-do-at-your-desk-2/

I have a very physical job three nights of the week and at home, I have the care and exercise of three horses so no lack of scheduled and spontaneous activity in my life. I have an office job for two mornings a week as well which entails a lot of sitting at a desk so I can indeed understand the challenges that many people face in finding time and energy for activity each day.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most important thing is to set a schedule and stick with it. Actually write it down on your calendar, just like you would any appointment, and honor it as it is an appointment with yourself. I agree with Thinking, you can break it down to 15 minute segments, if that works better for you.

Fractal that is the only way I can do it myself. If I don't have a schedule and get into a routine it is a lost cause. I know many people are now trying to squeeze in a workout during their breaks in the middle of the work day for lunch. If you can get away with a quicker lunch rather than drawing the break out over an hour you would be surprised what you can squeeze in.

Walking and climbing stairs are two of the easier activities for most people to fit into their current practices. Even just parking farther from your objective than usual or taking the longer or more challenging route to a location can contribute significantly to a more active life-style.

Time becomes your challenge though, because most of us are already 'red-lining' when it comes to the amount of time we allow ourselves to do anything. Today, I have a couple of parcel cards for pick-up and an envelope to put in the post. Rather than rushing to the postal outlet today after my office work, I will go there tomorrow morning, after my graveyard shift finishes at 9:00 a.m. Becoming part of the frantic lunch-time throng in either the parking lot or the drug-store/postal venue would be counter-productive to my peace of mind.

In the morning, I shall walk over to the outlet, attend to my business and walk back, twice in fact, for I shall need to return the cart as one of the parcels will be quite heavy. Just by a slight shift of my schedule, I have made this small task more enjoyable and of greater personal benefit. : )

I started a "scheduled on the calendar" walking routine of 20 minutes per day and actually surprised myself at how easy it was to implement, once I'd scheduled it!

Under the Rose, I also started parking further away every time I go to a store. You're right -- every little bit helps.

I agree with waking up in the morning; in the evening you will be naturally tired so it's understandable to not want to do much.   Set your alarm an hour earlier-it'll give you time to get in some basic bodyweight workouts if that's your preference, as well as some cardio.  It's a surprisingly small change once you get used to it.

Almost any activity can contribute to an overall exercise program and it also helps to not have to find 'extra time' for exercise by simply finding more activity in one's daily life. This can be a challenge for those who may be working long hours at a desk for then fatigue becomes a factor. In any activity that requires a lot of sitting, it is recommendable to get up and get moving at least once an hour to help prevent blood clots from forming in the legs.

http://www.medicinenet.com/deep_vein_thrombosis/page2.htm

• 2 months later...

The way I found time and drive to exercise happened, unintentionally. I bought a work-dog puppy. These dogs are smart high energy dogs that thrive on exercise, activity and jobs. I bought a European work line Doberman Pincher, who, as he got older,  became my trainer, making me work out even when I did not want to go; rain, snow and cold. If I came home tired, I had an obligation and had to go. By the time I was done I felt refreshed since moving the body clears the mind. 

Work dogs needs routine exercise and activity or else they will improvise on their own, which is not always good. My dog would  challenge the tired alpha (me). After a while, the walks and variety of activity became my favorite part of the day, with me becoming in my best alpha shape in years. A trainer with teeth became my best workout companion. 

Edited by HydrogenBond