Science Forums

I just think its better to see the homeimporvement market take this one on (in the driveway and in housing developments the roads could be surfaced in this stuff)

Main highways/roads for trucks and the so forth - its not going to work... I can list way too many negatives, best thing todo is try it out first in low load environments.

Sure, yeah, competition is great and sparks all kind of ingenuity, but please, for the sake of this forum, go ahead and list your arguments.

This post was actually made Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:54 AM by Early Risa

Sure, yeah, competition is great and sparks all kind of ingenuity, but please, for the sake of this forum, go ahead and list your arguments.

OK, why not: They seem obvious though...

Weight: The stuff ain't going to last as long as people think.

Rubber: The road is going to be coated black in under a month (guess), hence no longer solar effective

Human Conditioning: It is easier to look at a black/grey road than a spaceship road (Which I think is one of the biggest hurdles)

Economics and best Guess Future scenario: I envisage completely and utterly different vehicles for the future,

taking the past into account, and seeing as how much funding was necessary to maintian roads that are comprised of what is a by product (tar)

making electric roads may end up being one of those spruce goose things (yeah I know I am negative, hence why I recommend building tunnels instead, and lining the roads)

...Tunnel major pro:

By Building tunnels, we learn how to build them effectively, rearing us up for a future where we may actually need ten storey tunnels just to accomodate the weekend commute to the rockies.

The rest of this post and replies to it are in Social Science thread Discussion Of Population - Moved From Popular Science And News Thread, because they are about a social science subject, not the solar roadways.