Science Forums

Musical Association?

Elisa

Do you experience strong association with some musical pieces? For example, when I was younger, I had an experience where I was in a grocery store and there was some "classical-ish" elevator music playing in the background. I was shopping happily and all of a sudden, I found myself deeply wanting to cry. I had NO idea why or what was happening, until I realized that the song playing was Adagio for Strings from the movie Platoon; the scene where my favorite character slowly and painfully dies. Ufff, the emotion. Have you ever had this happen?

• 8 months later...

Do you experience strong association with some musical pieces? For example, when I was younger, I had an experience where I was in a grocery store and there was some "classical-ish" elevator music playing in the background. I was shopping happily and all of a sudden, I found myself deeply wanting to cry. I had NO idea why or what was happening, until I realized that the song playing was Adagio for Strings from the movie Platoon; the scene where my favorite character slowly and painfully dies. Ufff, the emotion. Have you ever had this happen?

Well, this is because you have memories of it, in your nervous system, as a 'charge' being kept 'alive.' when you sense something that is old to you - not new? - then you will trigger those impulses to come to the fore, yes? this is like racism, where we will stereotype someone as a ambassador for that color of people.