Science Forums

How Does Music Make You Feel?

Mars1

When you are listening to music what feelings does it illicit?  Does it relax or excite you?  My daughter listens to music to focus her attention when she is doing tedious work.  My son listens to music to relax.  I'm a little of both, depending on my mood and what I'm listening to.  What about you?

Music can make me sad or glad, or it can plunge me into Nostalgia. 

In my teens, I loved to read Robert E Howard. Upbeat songs—most of them about love, tenderness or heartache...

Caused me to imagine lots of Franzetta Style Musclemen in Armor and Weilding Swords or Axes while smashing Armor, lopping off heads, limbs, spilling blood and dealing out death right and left.

Stevie Nicks was a favorite to listen to while I read Howard.

Now that I'm older, I have more variety in my tastes and responses to music.

When I'm drawing, I like something Cerebral and Abstract in the background—Trance (preferably without vocals) and Blues and some Blue Grass.

Blue Grass isn't Country. I loathe KUN-TUN-RHEE Music. It is an insult to free men everywhere that such a thing exists.

While some styles and genres leave me cold, Country Music is the only kind that I HATE.

O well, whatever...

Saxon Violence

Hrrmmm....country eh?

Someone aught be a bit more specific....for sure today's so-called "country" has little to absolutely nothing to do with country music...but...on the other side of the coin "real country" (of which little to none has been made for decades)  has everything to do with traditional, classical, folk and bluegrass,  

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

I have to agree there, the country of today seems more akin to a slow rock-n-roll songs of yesteryear than true country roots. Never the less as someone else said if it fits my mood I'll listen to it for awhile. I'm completely disappointed with new music and the industry today. These one or two hit wonders that are electronically altered makes the pop music of today seem cheap to me.

I try to explain to my kids that back in the 70's bands made albums. They had to work hard to put something good out. As a result we would often get an album with many good songs on it. The radio stations at the time also played some of those songs. The stations of today run 4-5 commercials to pay their bills then 4-5 of the hottest songs out there over and over in different order.

I like everything except rap music and opera those two annoy me, but that's just me, many people like it. I have succeeded in getting my teenage children to listen to what I call traditional R-R. On long trips in the car I'll play whole albums of Neil Young, Yes, Rush, CCR, and CSN. Last week my son asked me to borrow my Neil Young collection. It's not so much that I want them to like the music it's that I want to know about it's existence and appreciate it.

It just bothers me that so many kids would probably like that music, but will never get a chance to hear it. Music of today just seems too commercialized and cheap to me. I often find myself taking refuge on the NPR to avoid the endless barrage of adds anymore. Oh well, can't live in the past.

Blasting some BOSTON much to the dismay of my stepson :hihi:

When you are listening to music what feelings does it illicit?  Does it relax or excite you? 

Depends....

There are songs and musical pieces that make me tear up.

There are those that make me want to plug in, crank it up and jam.

There are some that are enjoyable to listen too that do nothing.

There are some that make me annoyingly sickeningly  happy

Boston happens to be good at ticking all the above boxes all at once....along with

Rush, Kansas, Zeppelin, The Grateful Dead and Floyd they tend to be my biggest go to's for mood elevation

(but I also adore classical, opera, folk, bluegrass....well just about everything out there with exceptions in every genre... listening to some Excrementory Grind****ers right now....always good for a giggle.

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

• 3 weeks later...

The music that I play is directly related to my mood. If I need to work, then it's jazz, trance or Cafe del Mar, something upbeat with no words, so I don't sing along and get too distracted. If I need to clean or just want to rock out on the highway, then it's anything from 80's hard rock, glam bands or good old Pearl Jam. If I want to relax, then a little classical or Spanish guitar. If I'm feeling sexy (or want to feel sexy) then it's classic blues, nothing better than some Muddy Waters to get it going! And I'm with you Saxon, no country for me either.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have to agree there, the country of today seems more akin to a slow rock-n-roll songs of yesteryear than true country roots. Never the less as someone else said if it fits my mood I'll listen to it for awhile. I'm completely disappointed with new music and the industry today. These one or two hit wonders that are electronically altered makes the pop music of today seem cheap to me.

I try to explain to my kids that back in the 70's bands made albums. They had to work hard to put something good out. As a result we would often get an album with many good songs on it. The radio stations at the time also played some of those songs. The stations of today run 4-5 commercials to pay their bills then 4-5 of the hottest songs out there over and over in different order.

I like everything except rap music and opera those two annoy me, but that's just me, many people like it. I have succeeded in getting my teenage children to listen to what I call traditional R-R. On long trips in the car I'll play whole albums of Neil Young, Yes, Rush, CCR, and CSN. Last week my son asked me to borrow my Neil Young collection. It's not so much that I want them to like the music it's that I want to know about it's existence and appreciate it.

It just bothers me that so many kids would probably like that music, but will never get a chance to hear it. Music of today just seems too commercialized and cheap to me. I often find myself taking refuge on the NPR to avoid the endless barrage of adds anymore. Oh well, can't live in the past.

While much of modern country music annoys me at times, I often find amusement where it wasn't intended.  A fairly recent song has the phrase "I'm gonna make you mine" , and I picture a woman with a hard hat with a headlight swinging a pick axe, and I think "Forced labor is just wrong!"

I tend to listen to something that fit my current moods, so it ranges from everything between Metal and House, if I'm stressed it sort of keeps my mind distracted to listen to stressfull music like Mindless self indulgance, but my favourites tends to be metal and classic music tough, which means I enjoy listening to that the most whatever mood I'm in.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...