Science Forums

pljames

My question is, if one like me who cannot understand all grammar (I have delexia and do not spell correctly because of it) can learn to write well enough to be understood? I cannot understand nouns verbs and dangling participals(?). I understand words, there meanings and there structure, when creating a sentence. Writing to me is a art form a structured art which is meant to be...understood...! I am and never have been...perfect... so therefore I will always make mistakes in my writing. I have used grammar, but grammar will not allow me to use my free will and make mistakes (not as I do not like or need grammar) but using my already understand of words and sentence structure over the years. Paul

P.S. Does this forum have a full editor?

My question is, if one like me who cannot understand all grammar (I have delexia and do not spell correctly because of it) can learn to write well enough to be understood? I cannot understand nouns verbs and dangling participals(?). I understand words, there meanings and there structure, when creating a sentence. Writing to me is a art form a structured art which is meant to be...understood...! I am and never have been...perfect... so therefore I will always make mistakes in my writing. I have used grammar, but grammar will not allow me to use my free will and make mistakes (not as I do not like or need grammar) but using my already understand of words and sentence structure over the years. Paul

P.S. Does this forum have a full editor?

While I do see grammar errors in your writing, by-and-large I understand you. If by 'full editor' you mean something that checks spelling & grammar, then no. As I understand it the spell checking is part of your browser.

As it is, grammar/spell checkers don't always catch errors. Above you wrote "I understand words, there meanings and there structure...", and while you spelled "there" correctly it is the wrong word. It should read "I understand words, their meanings and their structure".

I always recommend to writers Strunk and White's book Elements of Style. It is small and inexpensive, but priceless. As with any skill, improvement comes with practicing mistakes. Come to know your common mistakes and double check yourself in situations that commonly have those mistakes. If readers don't question something you have written then you probably were understood regardless of errors. If they do question you, check the work and edit if necessary.

Here's a Wiki article on Elements of Style. >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elements_of_Style

In spite of its age it is regularly updated and widely available. My last copy was lost in a fire and I just bought a new one last week. Seems I'm always forgetting the proper way to use commas. :D

Edited by Turtle