Science Forums

Orthodox Versus Alternate Medicine

Abe40

Orthodox medical practitioners often frown at the claims of Alternate medicine when the later claim that they have cures for diseases such as cancer and AIDS that have stumped orthodox medicine. How do we normal people know the truth or do we take each party at their word? Please read:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_cancer_treatments

• 2 weeks later...

Well, drug companies will not tell you that an alternate medicine can cure or help with diseases or even the common cold.  If they did they wouldn't be making the billions they make from orthodox medical practices. You would have to try alternative medicines yourself to see if they work.

Edited by Mars1

Well, drug companies will not tell you that an alternate medicine can cure or help with diseases or even the common cold.  If they did they wouldn't be making the billions they make from orthodox medical practices. You would have to try alternative medicines yourself to see if they work.

Medicine that works is called medicine.

I hate to say it, but I agree. I think that it's possible there are cures out there that "western" medicine doesn't want us to know about. Think of all the money and revenue lost if people stopped taking prescription medication for a common condition because there was an alternative solution. On the flip side, I think we have to go with whatever works for us, traditional OR alternative medicine, either one.

• 1 month later...

I used to go to a holistic doctor (a real M.D. who practiced functional medicine) and an allopathic doctor. Each doctor knew I was also seeing the other, and neither particularly approved of my dual approach. Over time, the differences in approach caused a conflict.

I still have mixed feelings about which way to go. I lean toward the holistic approach, but I have medical conditions that don't seem to respond to herbal concoctions and other alternative therapies.