Science Forums

What Is Your Favorite Scifi Book?

Gregb

John Varley's Gaean Trilogy Titan, Wizard, and Demon with Demon being the best of the three. Across Real Time by Verner Vinge is in the top five as well with Harry Turtledove's World War series and Niven's Smoke Ring series and Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land evening out the top five for me. Impossible to really pick a favorite ... 

John Varley's Gaean Trilogy Titan, Wizard, and Demon with Demon being the best of the three. Across Real Time by Verner Vinge is in the top five as well with Harry Turtledove's World War series and Niven's Smoke Ring series and Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land evening out the top five for me. Impossible to really pick a favorite ... 

Nice! I haven't heard of any of those. Time to look them up! I feel you on how hard it is to pick. There are many greats.

I was an avid reader of sci-fi until I read Dune in the early 70's. It so out-shown anything I had read before, and the few examples I tried after, that I gave off the genra entirely. Anymore, reading fiction of any sort holds no interest for me. Que sera sera.

Yeah it was a masterpiece. Lately I really enjoyed Ender's Game and Spin.

• 2 years later...

Best Sci Fi novels Top Ten. Sorry, couldn't stop at just the one.

Arthur C. Clarke - 2001 a space odyssey published 1968

A great story, thought provoking, suspense, Hal 9000. This is brilliant.

Arthur C. Clarke - Rendezvous with RAMA published 1975

Classic sci fi of first contact:  with surprises, sense of wonder and suspense. Set in the year 2130.

Alan Dean Foster - A Call to Arms published 1991

The Amplitur (similar to Borg?) stumble across a union of races called the Weave. Only a call to arms of present day humanity can save the Weave. Great concept gives credibility to a thrilling story.

Andre Norton - Night of Masks published 1964

Easy to enjoy sci fi adventure story, with monstrous creatures and unknown dangers.

Bob Shaw - Orbitsville published in 1975

This is a good sci fi story. The concave Earth concept is expanded upon.

Andrew Hunt - Cat’s Cradle : Witch Mark (the new Doctor Who adventures) published 1992

A thoughtful sci fi story, this immerses the reader into a magical alien world.

John Wyndham – Day of the Triffids published 1951

The characters must survive the consequences of blinding meteor showers, disease and killer plants.

Terry Brooks – The Elfstones of Shannara published 1982

Maybe more adventure, magic and myth than sci fi, but the story is exciting and the concept behind this novel is thought provoking.

Karl-Herbert Scheer and Walter Ernsting created the - Perry Rhodan story Series. Kurt Marr authored many of these pulp books. Published Circa 1967-1978

Pulp paperback series provides a quick sci fi adventure fix. The 1968 (made in 1967) film Mission Stardust was based on this series.

Garfield Reeves-Stevens – Nighteyes published 1989

This is a very scary (because it seems so plausible) alien abduction sci fi story.  

• 2 weeks later...

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

This book is on my bookshelf. The still valid copyright 1898 by H,G. Wells seems surreal here in 2017 but shows what a remarkable book this is. It is my top H.G. Wells book with 'The time machine' published in 1895 in second place. I found it interesting that you selected 'War of the Worlds' because it very nearly made my top ten sci-fi book list. Good choice.