Science Forums

Do You Think We're Going To Make It?

Eclipse Now

Population is slowly taking care of itself....

I always advocate following the money, and I think if you actually look the amount of money on the "climate change is an illusion" is many many times the amount on the side of wanting to warn the world about the consequences.

Love both points. The Demographic Transition is slowly marching across the globe, slowing and eventually stopping population growth.

And the money? Whoever said "climate change is pushed by the climatologists feeding off the public trough" needs to do some basic accounting. Objective, peer-reviewed climatologists are lucky to earn in a year what a big-oil CEO earns in a DAY! Who's *really* got the financial incentive to lie here? 0.o

• 1 month later...

Buffy you must be some kind of sadist or angel trying to reason with regurgitated drivel all these years.

People, people, people... 99% of the worlds scientists created a conspiracy about global warming but were thwarted by a brave and plucky band of billionaires and oil tycoons. OK! ;)

The recent Princeton study of thousands of pieces of US legislature showing democracy is a myth, and the US Govt is a puppet for the financial elite... this came as no surprise to me. People quoting newspaper stories and politicised opinions as if they are peer reviewed facts. The art  of pretending controversy and competition exist, and proles opinions actually matter, you are all under this illusion. You are regurgitating exactly what is expected of you but the people in charge don't care less what you think.

All the hot air that gets spouted as band aids (like many quoted in this thread) to massage the public angst, I actually think it is this hot air making the global warming worse - at least in life being bearable listening to it...

The evolutionary advantage of accumulating goods is no longer advantageous to the species entire, as it has led to a sociopathic ruling elite who imperil the planets life support systems. And if they are not stopped - you aint seen nothin yet.

Charles Krauthammer--columnist for Time Magazine and talking head for Fox News the other day tried to claim that 99% of scientists believed that Newton was right, until Einstein came along and "disproved" it all.

My favorite Economist Paul "Krugthulu" Krugman disassembled him quite nicely:

...this logic would lead you to dismiss all science — hey, maybe tomorrow someone will write a paper showing that the germ theory of disease is all wrong, so why bother with sterilized instruments in the hospital? But there’s something else wrong here — the complete misunderstanding of what Einstein did.

Yes, Einstein showed that space and time were relative concepts. But did he show that everything physicists had been doing up to that point was all wrong? Of course not — classical physics was an incredibly useful and successful field, and almost none of what it said had to change in light of relativity. 

Why this stuff actually gets airtime is boggling to me, but when you consider the amount of money to be lost by railroad companies facing interstate highways, um er, oil and gas companies facing declining growth of oil reserves and the rise of competing sources, you start to realize that lots of people get paid nicely to spout such drivel and make it "legitimate."

Oh and (click to embiggen):

post-787-0-30638300-1399839606_thumb.jpg

Follow the money, :phones:
Buffy

What are the most urgent and depressing problems, and why? What are the most important solutions?

Money. More specifically, the greed for it.

People can talk about climate change, pipelines, oil reserves, e-bay and whatever else all day long. The common thread that unites them all and makes them all controversial is...........money.

You want to save the planet? Stop making money, which is a human construct, the measure by which we call ourselves advanced or not. 

You want to save the planet? Stop making money, which is a human construct, the measure by which we call ourselves advanced or not. 

Oh money is quite useful. The trick is in optimally distributing it.

Many people despise wealth, but few know how to give it away, :phones:

Buffy

The thing about money is that it encourages the Demographic Transition, which slows population growth. The formula for measuring environmental harm IPAT does not ban affluence, but looks at how affluence interacts with technology. If the world ran on clean energy a majority of our environmental problems would be solved.

I work in the evil oil and gas industry, helping to improve the efficiency with which we extract global warming hydrocarbons. While I think it is silly that we actually burn all these valuable petrochemicals, I haven't yet been assigned responsibility for the dumb actions of Joe Public.

So my solution to oil and gas use and CO2 levels is rather different. I am geologist by training, but involved in drilling engineering by profession. I love drilling. Marvellous blend of technology and seat of the pants guesses. I favour pumping the CO2 back into the ground. The technical challenges would be readily overcome if we had the political will. In the longer term we can even envisage fine tuning global climate by deliberate release of the gas when the next ice advance threatens in a few millenias time.

Hi Eclogite,
I hear you on the petro-chemicals, although we can recover a lot of different syngas molecules if we throw all our household garbage through a plasma burner.

I've listened to (I think it was Long Now) reports that we've already cancelled the next glacial period! In the meantime, isn't CCS way to expensive? I see CCS as just another false promise from king coal and big oil that 'one day' they'll clean up their act. Instead, if we have to burn various hydrocarbons like oil for airlines then maybe a slight carbon tax would help pay our farmers to run agriwaste through biochar, which would lock away the carbon, restore soils, improve fertility of farms and generate better food production. It's one of those win win win things.

As far as replacing coal, we may as well get busy burning all our nuclear waste in a fast deployment of S-PRISM's. America's 'only' got about a thousand years worth of fuel for S-PRISMs sitting around in cooling ponds.

West Antarctic ice Sheet is going

Our grandchildren are going to face around *double* the sea level rise the IPCC predicted. All previous predictions were for Greenland’s steady melting. Now that Antarctica’s on the move, that should double. Note: this precludes ‘sudden dynamic ice events’. The IPCC could not get a consensus on the chance of thee Greenland ice-sheet suddenly ‘slipping’ into the ocean, and so didn’t account for it. If that happens, the predicted sea-level could be so much worse than the IPCC predicted!

Edited by Eclipse Now

• 2 years later...

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39032748

I had to enter fracking in the search box to find a post with a discussion about this. I thought there were more on this subject, but maybe I was wrong. In my old age I can't remember what I had for breakfast anymore let alone the number posts on a single topic. Anyhow I found this article on BBC about the insane number of spills that occur at fracking sites. The panicked pace of new sites is done for now and a lot of sites sit idle here in PA. But they tore up the roads, farms, trees, and anything else that was in there way to get it done fast. All this before PA put a tax on it.