Trolley buses are my pick for an emergency deployment of public transport for the following reasons.
- Can be hybrid electric and synfuel, allowing them to go 'off the line' and service side streets.
- Do not require the installation of rail, which will only slow down the process of moving off oil in a hurry
- Require rail in the roads, which can be a hazard to cyclists and pedestrians tripping
- Are stuck if there is an obstacle on the rail ahead, while hybrid or battery trolley buses can leave the line and simply drive around the obstacle
- Trolley buses are 5 times cheaper! They give 5 times the transport coverage than trams do for the same money!
But what are your thoughts, and what are your sources for the best transport network for your nation and / or region?