Science Forums

Drones

Deepwater6

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/03/business/meet-your-friendly-neighborhood-drones/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I put this under Sociology because this technology, evolving as projected, will change our society. If the FAA doesn't create a well defined plan, these things will be all over the place. Crashing into buildings for pizza deliveries, smashing into each other over populated city streets.

I'm not against this technology. I think it's great and we could use it to do alot of good. A great deal of good to bring greater synergy to America and releif supplies to poorer countries. I just feel (as the article states) that regulations have lagged behind technology and it's important to get this right.

It is essentially like the highway systems we built for traffic across this country and like those highways this will open many new doors for our society.

Edited by Deepwater6

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/03/business/meet-your-friendly-neighborhood-drones/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

If the FAA doesn't create a well defined plan, these things will be all over the place. Crashing into buildings for pizza deliveries, smashing into each other over populated city streets.

I'd like to explore your reasoning for this statement, as it doesn't appear to me to be obvious. At the least, it doesn't appear to me to be any more relevant than concerns over rogue RC flyers, balloonists, experimental aircraft, or kite flyers.

As this technology progresses drones will crowd the sky. Take one busy city street for example. Every store along the row will want to get their products delivered. Fast food, clothes, laundry, etc, etc. All the stores will one day have multiple drones to service their customers in a timely fashion. So if there is 20 Star-buck drones around on that block to deliver hot coffee for someone who has ordered it while waiting at a bus stop, they will have to contend with the multiple drones of the other stores who are delivering their goods and services. There must be some order to it. Some rules of the road.

• 4 weeks later...

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/amazon-prime-air-ways-drones-future/story?id=21070635

A few other uses for these drones. Multiple companies and charities with great resources will make this a reality sooner than some people think.

Yes I agree big brother is definitely a factor in it. They already have red light cameras on the busier intersection where I live. If the camera catches you going thru a red light it automatically detects the owner from the license plate. It then sends them a fine.

Many groups have been fighting this as an intrusion on their privacy, but it creates so much revenue for the politicians they are not likely to remove them. Think of the revenue created when the state has a drone at every light.

Drones delivering you pizza, I like that!!

I don't see any problem with traffic light cameras (as long as the information is only saved when there is an infraction of the law), I mean there is a clear law, one infracts it-> one gets consequences...about the same as a if a police car was standing nearby.

I only have problems when by definition everyone begins as a "law-infractor", i.e. drones flying above city-squares monitoring (and saving information on) everyone. A bit like the cameras everywhere in the UK.