Science Forums

A Possible "next Evolutionary Advance" For Mankind

SaxonViolence

This is a kinda "Out There" possibility that I've never seen anyone suggest—even in Science Fiction.

Let us assume that increasing Brain Power Dramatically takes away some of what makes us "Human".

Smarter people often tend to be more cerebral and less physical.

Smarter people are also more inclined to retreat into phantasy when true life gets them down.

The Analytical might tend to overwhelm the Emotional.

This might not happen, of course.

And some might not view the changes as "Bad Things".

But for Argument's sake, our Hypothetical Architects of the Next Big Step want their creation to Live Large, but still have a "Human" Psychology.

Kinda like the Greek gods...

Okay, people have played with the idea of putting the Brain someplace really safe and protected and connecting the man to his "Body" via Radio, Telepathy or some super science mambo-jambo.

The Bruce Willis movie "Surrogates" (was that the name of the show?) kinda used that concept—though the Folks were more than disembodied brains.

But Imagine a Disembodied "Brain" the size of a Volkswagen...

It can be anything you'd like it to be—But I envision a hierarchy of Human-Sized Brains richly interwoven with Silicone Augmentation.

Anyway, clone a number of Identical bodies. Give each one of them a rudimentary Brain roughly the size of a Chimpanzees—to run the body and even make simple choices...

But each one is connected to the Central Brain.

In my SF Story that I've been plotting for two or three decades, the Protagonist has 167 Bodies (I like Prime Numbers).

Lets give our hypothetical fellow 23 Bodies with enough Brains to experience life pretty much like a Human 23 times, all at the same time.

Each body gets hungry, tired, sleepy, horny, etc.

{The Over-Brain muses and sometimes becomes less activity, but is basically always Conscious.}

{One could be near death in the Desert in one body and sleeping in an air conditioned room in another.}

I can eat, even enjoy myself to a degree—despite a broken toe that is throbbing with pain...

Same with a Body that is suffering.

If you want to preserve the essential Humanity, you have to carefully hardwire this being to be deeply and personally concerned what happens to each body.

I can hold my finger in a flame in dire extremis. I could even cut a finger off with sufficient necessity.

{And if my finger could be fully replaced in a matter of hours, I'd be somewhat less reluctant...}

You would have to be very careful not to build in too much Intellectualizing Capacity...

In my Opinion, it is largely the Balancing act between pure Reptile Brain Hedonism and Other Worldly Detached Intellectualism (or Mysticism) that creates and defines our selves.

Why identical?

Not Necessary—but I think that I'd prefer it that way.

A Giant Body, A Centaur Body and a Dolphin/Merman type body—o yeah, and a GI Joe sized one, for checking out rabbit holes, might all come in handy if held carefully in reserve.

I dislike the idea of having both sexes share a single Over-Brain and I'd prefer not to ponder whether certain acts of desperation would be "Masturbation" or "Homosexuality". My Philosophy is, "Just Don't!"

Is our Pseudo-Deity "Outed" or is he and his kind a Secret?

He's very long-lived—Presumably.

Friendship, perhaps even love with Normal Humans or Other Deities would be challenging.

Would a fellow with 167 bodies (and correspondingly larger small leftover processing power to devote to Abstract thought and self-analysis) look down on a fellow with only 23 bodies?

Would a 100% man (or woman) dislike or mistrst someone with both male and female bodies?

{Assume one starts as Human and at some point can afford and chooses to be transformed.

Lets also say that one's ability to handle more bodies must be developed over time.}

And while the public at large may know that Deities are around, short of X-Raying someone's skull—Well, you might be dating a Deity and not know it.

Anyone like the concept?

Any thoughts or implications that spring to mind?

And when settling a New Planet—Why couldn't one set up Animal Deities as well?

A "Deer Spirit" or "Bear" or your Favorite Dog?

Arrogant and apparently higher tech invaders, repeatedly scoffing at the warning, "The gods won't approve"...

Well anyway—A truly "Higher Order of Being" needs to be able to be in more than one place at a time...

And to insulate himself—just a bit—from the "Gambler's Ruin" that might cost a single bodied entity his life.

Saxon Violence

Edited by SaxonViolence