Science Forums

Drone Collides With Airliner?

It is believed a foreign object collided with an airliner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2339139/Was-bird-A-Plane-Or-UFO--Chinese-passenger-jet-hits-mysterious-object-26-000ft-lands-severely-dented-nose-cone.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

O'Hare airport experienced a strange incident where a silver disk hovered for a while over ground control and even more recent, six UFO's where found on radar and confirmed by three pilots over the scientology headquarters last year. This isn't the first lot of documented cases where either sightings have been made from commercial airliners, but there are at least several documented cases of near misses with UFO's.

if that was a UFO then the aliens must be very, very tiny. a dent of that size could be made by nothing much bigger than a football. (thats the round shaped one for the american members ;) )

There is no rule in the book which says UFO's have to be manned. This event anyway, by definition is a ''UFO'' but I use this term in the real definition, not for what people do today by immediately associating it with alien (ET) technology.

• 9 months later...

What immediately comes to mind is the possibility that the UFO in terms of its real definition might have been a drone. It is unbelievable and frightening to see how fast drone technology was introduced to the public the past few months (although I believe it has been in existence for quite some time behind the scenes).

What immediately comes to mind is the possibility that the UFO in terms of its real definition might have been a drone. It is unbelievable and frightening to see how fast drone technology was introduced to the public the past few months (although I believe it has been in existence for quite some time behind the scenes).

Given the small damage to the jet I don't think a drone could be that small and carry enough fuel to reach the 26000ft altitude reported for the collision. I suggest a megacryometeor. >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megacryometeor

As to the Chatwick -Scientology UFOs- mentioned in the OP, I showed they could easily have been kites in a thread all about it.

>> http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/27405-major-ufo-sighting-causing-big-news/

PS Reading further down in the airline collision article I find this:

Former government UFO investigator Nick Pope told The Sun that an examination of the nose cone should reveal what hit it.

He said traces of whatever collided with the aircraft should be visible.

However, he questioned whether the 'secretive' Chinese would reveal the cause.

Mr Pope told The Sun: 'Cases like this show that whatever people believe about UFOs, there are serious air safety issues here.

'MoD and CAA files contain dozens of reports of near misses between UFOs and commercial aircraft. ...

Mr. Pope was Aethel's go to man in the other incident as well, so I e-mailed Pope about his claim "couldn't have been a kite" and got him to admit otherwise.

Edited by Turtle

Given the small damage to the jet I don't think a drone could be that small and carry enough fuel to reach the 26000ft altitude reported for the collision. I suggest a megacryometeor. >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megacryometeor

Hi Turtle.

The Heron drone below has a ceiling of 30,000 feet. http://www.airforce.gov.au/Technology/Aircraft/Heron/?RAAF-U3cQ7cNqUl7hOR9akHK4KUQKnbbWmZnX

Hi Turtle.

The Heron drone below has a ceiling of 30,000 feet. http://www.airforce.gov.au/Technology/Aircraft/Heron/?RAAF-U3cQ7cNqUl7hOR9akHK4KUQKnbbWmZnX

Yes, but that weighs over a ton.

... 1.1 tonne Heron Remotely Piloted Aircraft...

The pilots could hardly have missed that, let alone it's highly unlikely such a large craft would have only caused the minor damage the commercial jet suffered.

Something like the following 3 smaller drones might make a good dent as they weigh from 1 to 3 kg and the control range could be extended to up to 25 km. These 3 have larger battery sizes with wingspans from 1.6 to 2 meters. .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__47714__Talon_FPV_V_tail_Drone_EPO_1718mm_Kit_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22702__Durafly_Zephyr_V_70_High_Performance_70mm_EDF_V_Tail_Glider_1533mm_PNF_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__38072__HobbyKing_Go_Discover_FPV_Plane_EPO_1600mm_PNF_.html

I can't imagine it was a military drone. Drones are tracked and it would have been clearly an area of focus if a drone was near by. So far there has been little coverage on this idea. Personal drones I also find it hard to believe. Are hobbyists flying these drones at 30,000ft? The odds that a plane going 400mph hits a little drone is extremely small.

I can't imagine it was a military drone. Drones are tracked and it would have been clearly an area of focus if a drone was near by. So far there has been little coverage on this idea. Personal drones I also find it hard to believe. Are hobbyists flying these drones at 30,000ft? The odds that a plane going 400mph hits a little drone is extremely small.

Agreed & agreed. More-or-less. I mean I could see the military making an oooopppssss!! and not copping to it. Otherwise, any drone or small controlled craft striking that jet would have left material evidence which by all accounts wasn't found. Ergo my megacryometeor hypothesis. Being nothing more than water it could leave no material evidence other than water and that water evidence would either blow or dry away, or if the plane landed in rain simply be intermixed with the precip. Badda bing badda BANG!! What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks was that!!??? Of course it could be some alien with a slingshot that lobbed the ice-ball at the plane, as any reliable UFO'logist would tell you.

:airplane: :slingshot:

Edited by Turtle

I won't speculate what may have hit the plane, but since it was brought to light I'd like to comment on the drones. In the near future these things will be all over the place. Consider you're standing on a crowded intersection in New York city. You dial up and order a Starbucks coffee. A few minutes later a drone comes buzzing toward you. The drone would have the 4-5 of the most popular orders on board and there could be hundreds of them.

This in itself is not a problem, the problem is that the dry cleaners, Mickie dees, Domino's pizza, and more uses than I can dream up will be in the same airspace. Yes they will have a ceiling, but there is nothing in the way of traffic control. On a busy street in a city with skyscrapers it would be interesting to watch.

There is legislation on the way. supposedly by 2015 something should be in place. I just don't know how far it will go and I don't think the government is aware of what this technology could potentially turn into. Imagine no more UPS and Fed-Ex trucks on the road. 

The reason we won't see drones buzzing everywhere is not technology or government regulation, but--like so many things--the cost of the liability insurance. 

Can't imagine this can be solved by a little sign in 8pt type on the Starbucks drone that says "Caution: Payload may be hot."

I was never ruined but twice: once when I lost a lawsuit, and once when I won one, :phones:

Buffy

Gregb, the article said that the damage was only noticed when the plane landed so it could have hit the object at a much lower altitude.

Turtle, those smaller drones are basically made of Styrofoam and would disappear in a puff if hit by something going at 400 mph.  

Also Malysian Airlines flight MH370 was much larger than a drone and it still has not been found.

So to summarize, there are more unexplained and/or unidentified technologies in existence than we could ever imagine. I have no doubt that such 'secret' technologies do exist; the question should therefore probably be, "What type of technology from which country caused the damage to the jet, and why the collision in the first place?".

Turtle, you might have a good point with  your megacryometeor hypothesis; I am just not convinced that the collision was an act of God. There are too many 'strange things' happening lately, with flight MH370 the latest.

Turtle, those smaller drones are basically made of Styrofoam and would disappear in a puff if hit by something going at 400 mph.  

Also Malysian Airlines flight MH370 was much larger than a drone and it still has not been found.

Well let's see...wasn't it a piece of foam that took down space shuttle Columbia? Why yes Turtle; it was. ;)

I don't understand your Malaysian flight reference in connection to this topic. :reallyconfused:

Turtle, you might have a good point with your megacryometeor hypothesis; I am just not convinced that the collision was an act of God. There are too many 'strange things' happening lately, with flight MH370 the latest.

Mmmmm... Are there stories going around about the Malaysian flight being a UFO casualty? I haven't seen that yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Well let's see...wasn't it a piece of foam that took down space shuttle Columbia? Why yes Turtle; it was. ;)

I don't understand your Malaysian flight reference in connection to this topic. :reallyconfused:

Mmmmm... Are there stories going around about the Malaysian flight being a UFO casualty? I haven't seen that yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Hi Turtle,

Whatever it was it is quite obvious that the plane hit it and not Vs a Vs. If you rotate the image 90 degrees to the right so the dent is facing upwards maybe. 

My Malaysian flight reference was with respect to Gregb's comments about tracking drones. Realistically, would you expect any government to admit that they had lost something that ended up being hit by a plane in another countries airspace?  

I wonder if the report on the nose cone that Nick Pope referred to has been published yet.

Was everyone on the airline sleeping when something collided with it?  No one saw an object bounce off the nose of the plane?  If it was an UFO then the pilot should have seen it fly away.  When you hit something you usually look around to see what it was.