Science Forums

Working model of the circulatory system

If you have a puckish sense of humor... center all the Tygon tubing on a cow heart from a butchershop. Four suction cups and two pairs of hands (do better mechanically) ought to get things moving. Have a few extra refrigerated cow hearts in inventory. Use water plus glitter to show flow. Practice your suturing or use SuperGlue.

You need a stiff balloon or bellows in-line to level pressure fluctuations and smooth flow between beats. Elastic artery walls do that in vivo.

Hahaha - made me think - my sister once did a similar project for her biology class years ago, and also had the idea of using a cow's heart. She did it rather rustically, and had a hosepipe connected to one artery which se subsequentially had to blow up to demonstrate the workings of the valves. In her presentation, she gave a little lecture, and proceeded to blow the hosepipe, which inflated the heart, which put pressure on the valve. Very spectacular, except for her not keeping in mind the strength of a dead valve compared to the pressure from living lungs...

Needless to say, the valve popped, and the instructor was covered in heart-snot. That's the best description my sister could give, and I'm not sure what it was, but the heart was filled with a gelatinious substance which stank to high heaven. Shame. So, beware!

Can't remember whether she got any points for it, though.

hey thx for those suggestions but now i've got like 2 weeks, i'm don't think i'm actually going to get a real heart from an animal but thx for the help, if anyelse has any suggestions plz also list any supplies that i could find in like total crafts of somewhere

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am doing a project for my 9th grade biology class where I have to build a working model of the circulatory /renal/any other topic or system. I am not sure where to start so I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could do this

Thanks

Aakriti Barat

25/6/05