Science Forums

Islamic Poll

Deepwater6

Here in the US of course we've got leaders of the Tea Party like Representative Louie Gohmert (R-TX) whose statements on Islam are always based on the common notion in our Right Wing Conservative movement that all Muslims want to destroy the US. This group also thinks that we should mix religion and politics to the point of wanting to declare the US a "Christian Nation" and using the Bible as the basis of all laws.

I guess it's normal to want to kill people who you agree with the most?

Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity, :phones:

Buffy

I hate polls, being polled is so... painful... I predict the **** is going to hit the fan soon, hopefully on a small scale but far too many idiots are screaming for their right to be idiots, sooner or later some of them are going to claim those rights... :unsure:

I live beside a muslim, his daughter committed suicide in his backyard a few years ago by covering herself with gasoline and lighting up... They are odd people, they tried to hire three sets of people to mow their grass, all of the people quit for some reason after just beginning the job. One of them asked me if they were muslim before quitting. So when i mowed my grass i went ahead and mowed their grass, seemed the neighborly thing to do, their grass was getting pretty deep and I use a tractor so I mowed it.... not so much as a friendly how de do... grass is still growing... I'm mowing mine again today... guess who's grass will still be high...

Covering herself with gasoline and committing suicide? :o That's terrible, I wonder if it was brought on by over zealous religious beliefs on the parents end?

Around my area a couple just lost their second child to an illness that could have been successfully treated by doctors. They choose to rely on prayer to heal their children both times, and were obviously wrong.

Covering herself with gasoline and committing suicide? :o That's terrible, I wonder if it was brought on by over zealous religious beliefs on the parents end?

That is of course the rumor, I just moved here and neighbors of course have lots of special reports to give me. Most say it wasn't suicide but the police evidently were satisfied.

Around my area a couple just lost their second child to an illness that could have been successfully treated by doctors. They choose to rely on prayer to heal their children both times, and were obviously wrong.

In my book that is child abuse, not sure how the law reads...

• 11 months later...

There was a moment in history, before Islam was ruled supreme that many of the cultures of the Middle East were the most progressive countries in the world in sciences, math, engineering and art, and far more advanced then Europe. What happened? When the religion of Islam took complete control of the economy, schools and everything else there was a complete decline in all these countries. Now, the poorest countries in the world are Muslim countries. These polls reflect the disorder of these cultures.

Every religion is a creature of the cultural/social environment it lives in. If you read the Quran, it's got a lot of stuff in it that supports the notion that women are equals to men (but some stuff that's not too: exercise left for the reader). There's a strong indication that it was in practice too at the height of it's spread about a thousand years ago. But the *cultures* that is practiced in today have developed mores that highly constrict women because it is advantageous both at the family and governmental levels to oppress them. Not too different than the wave of voter suppression going on in the US right now that is helping to control the lower classes access to political power.

So really, its dangerous to blame the religion entirely for actions that are at their heart sociological and political.

A cult is a religion with no political power, :phones:

Buffy

declare the US a "Christian Nation" and using the Bible as the basis of all laws.

Buffy

If that ever happens, I'm moving to Canada. Freedom of religion means that if you don't want to participate in religion you have the freedom to do so. To base laws that I have to abide by on a religion, means I lose that freedom. I have no issues with peaceful people who want to find comfort in a 2,000+ year old book that was written by over a dozen people and edited by even more over the years, but I'm not one of them. I don't force my beliefs on others and I expect the same type of respect from others.