Science Forums

Seasonal Changes In The Body?

paigetheoracle

I’ve noticed (and made the connection this year) between certain symptoms I’ve been getting for decades that also link to others, without the insight I seem to have. For instance I have very itchy skin at the moment, which seemed to start at the hips and buttocks and moved down to the shins and now my ankles. I’ve heard people complain that they think this is down to washing powder and sensitivity to it in some people more than others (Those on the autistic spectrum and possibly others for instance).

I also noticed with the advent of Spring that certain aches and pains have resurfaced, similar to those described by people who claim to be able tell a change in the weather for the worse (atmospheric pressure? Change in dampness amount in the air?). Coupled with this I noted a feeling of frustration with my body (sloth?) and increased production in one’s and two’s department, culminating in release of this and return to normal flow, topped with a migraine (damming of energy / material as with frozen river and Spring melt): I’ve suffered with these headaches for years but never until now associated them with the seasons.

All of this I think indicates that the bodies of human and animals, react to climate change, in the same way that plants do. The latter can’t tell us why they are reacting as they do or even what they are reacting to but maybe our reactions can tell us what is going on with them too. I remember a weatherman on TV saying that the animals had been caught out one year, by a sudden unexpected flurry of snow, whereas I believe that they were reacting to the lengthening of the days (as plants do) and not the cold spell.

Maybe this explains depression (SAD - seasonal affective disorder) and wanting to go to bed all the time as opposed to insomnia (sap rising) and unexpected urge to wake up and stay awake?

Has anyone else noticed this and commented on it?

Edited by paigetheoracle

All of this I think indicates that the bodies of human and animals, react to climate change, in the same way that plants do...Has anyone else noticed this and commented on it?
Not sure humans are shrinking in size as result of climate change, so I suspect the response differs for humans in comparison to other animals, and plants...see this link for effect of climate on size of animals and plants:

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v1/n8/full/nclimate1259.html

This is an update of symptoms and insights on the same subject.

I’ve just realised that the itch I sufferer from is a spot on the skin behind the ear, exactly above the deep pain I get when I have a migraine (as opposed to the vertigo I’m suffering from now). I’m also getting insomnia, waking in the early hours of the morning as opposed to the migraines and taking to my bed, just like people with depression (hibernation?). The other night I woke up itching all over my skin. Before this I had itchy skin that started at the hips and worked down the legs to the calves and shins, then the ankles (According to Yoga, kundalini starts at the bottom of the body and works upwards - this is more like ‘rooting’). Today the roof of my mouth started itching and coupled with sneezing and defecation and urination increase as mentioned earlier, could it be that it is the body throwing off its protective ‘cyst’ as such and opening up to a more welcoming season?

With the aches and pains, mentioned previously, which both my wife and I noticed and commented on, seems like it is old machinery turning back on (youth probably wouldn’t notice the difference as much because it is not worn out with age). On top of this, the seasons are more noticeable in the northern hemisphere , which leads me to think that probably people in the antipodes wouldn’t notice these changes at all, even in old age as they would be more subtle in effect (not the drastic swing between cold and hot we get in the north).

As I said, I think not only plants but animals react to the lengthening of the days(snow melts quicker during the Spring as light maintains warmth over a greater period and stays more constant during the winter because the dark keeps the environment coooler for longer). Changes in the weather are temporary setbacks and life knows this - hence its optimism because of the bigger picture it sees coming or in the case of plants, feels.

Not sure humans are shrinking in size as result of climate change, so I suspect the response differs for humans in comparison to other animals, and plants...see this link for effect of climate on size of animals and plants:

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v1/n8/full/nclimate1259.html

Didn't mean shrinking in that sense but retreating as in going into hibernation but it is an interesting thought with regards to climate change. Animals on islands can be smaller than their mainland counterparts because of limited resources (and it can go the other way, if less predatory danger as in Galapagos tortoises)and humans in earlier ages were much smaller than we are nowadays as shown by smaller doorways (medieval Europe).